Determaining CrossFire supported cards?

why is ATI still useing so much GDDR2 memory. Dont they know GDDR3 is far better

It's so the cost of the product goes down, yet it still maintains a high performance aspect. Which is why the X1600PRO is able to achieve 512MB of video memory, yet be sold at a low price, not to mention, it comes with the ability to put it in CrossFire. No NVIDIA card can do that. What NVIDIA card has 12 pixel pipelines, is SLI compatible, and has 512MB of video memory, and costs under $150? Simple answer: none. Just the way ATI likes it. :D

so i can buy a x800gto2 for now, and unlock it and flash it to x850. and eventually get a master crossfire video card to use both in crossfire?

Ok, after browsing Tom's Hardware for about an hour, I manged to dig up a LOT of information on CrossFire and, at least from my perspective, how much better it is then SLI.

Tom's Hardware has a brief article that states this about the X1600 series cards...

Tom's Hardware Guide 14 Dec 05' said:
Sapphire Technology announced yesterday that it has begun shipment of its new Radeon X1600-series graphics cards in two versions.

The series is fully compatible with and ready for use in pairs in CrossFire dual-graphics systems, said the company.

From my interpretation, it's saying that the X1600 cards have integrated CrossFire support, meaning, you can pair either model up and have full CrossFire support. This explains why mutiple people in reviews of the product keep claiming two X1600PROs in CrossFire.

This confirms it I believe, that I will be purchasing two X1600PROs in 512MB GDDR2. This layout seems much better then my previous 7800GT layout, not to mention I get twice the performance in video memory, 1024 as oppossed to 256, and two GPUs, all under $300, as oppossed to the 7800GT which costs $285 dollars. So, I think that this X1600 setup is the best performance-to-cost ratio that exsists at the moment. :D

Anyone have anythign else to add or that could guide me in a possibly better setup?

Well this confirms for me that, yes, I can indeed CrossFire these X1600PRos together. A quote from the website you posted badninja...

ATI.com said:
How are the two graphics cards connected on a CrossFire system?

A. CrossFire Edition and CrossFire Ready cards are connected by an external cable. The cable is attached from the CrossFire Ready graphics card's DVI connector to the CrossFire Edition high density input connector (DMS). The partially rendered image is sent through the DVI connection to the CrossFire Edition DMS input connector. The partially rendered image from the cable input is combined with the CrossFire Edition's partially rendered frame in the compositing engine. The compositing engine combines the result of both cards to output a complete image.

Radeon X1300 and X1600 CrossFire Ready cards do not require an external connector. CrossFire mode is enabled via software and the cards communicate over the PCI Express® bus.

Radeon X1600PRO
Radeon X1600XT

can both of these be used? not with each other, but like 2 x1600xt's or 2 x1600pro's

Yuppers. It says X1600 series meaning that all you need is an X1600 model, wether it be XT or PRO, it doesn't matter! :D

This has got to be the best GPU set up in exsistence. I mean, 12 pixelpipelines for each card, 1024MB of GDDR2 combined video memory, plus Super AA and AFR! All under $300!? That's amazing! :D Why noone has this layout is beyond me. This layout is definetly a, NVIDIA 7800GT killer, all for lower cost and better video quality! :D

seriously, im so glad i learned about this. i almost wasted $xxx on a sli system. i serously was about to buy a 6800gs and a sli motherboard. but u saved my life! :D thank you soooo much

GS's will beat the x1600xt in any game, at (forget it) resolution. By anywhere from 10-20 fps, on max.

Back
Top Bottom