Is it true?

Half Evil

Golden Master
Well, a friend has a laptop right? Well in it, its got a Pent 4, 2.8ghz processor. And from that, its clocked to 3.21ghz. Weird right? Its an HP laptop. Locked bios. So.. I asked him what he did. He said he raised the VM (virual memory). How come that does it for him. Because it doesnt do that for me, on my PC. So is he full of crap. Or.. what? Anyone have any ideas?

You can't overclock a processor with memory. He's most definately lying.

The only way to overclock a CPU is in BIOS, or, if you have an ABIT motherboard, you can do it using the uGuru chip. Which is kind of cool because you can overclock the processor right then and there and not even have to reboot! :D

But you can NOT overclock a processor via the virtual memory. For one thing, it's virtual memory, which really doesn't do much. Secondly, when overclocking a CPU you overclock the FSB, RAM, and everythgin else associated with it. So, virtual memory, mind you which doesn't really 'exsist' can not affect processing speeds. So, how can he overclock a CPU when the memory he's using is logically generated by the hard drive and Operating System? Answer...he cant...

I know its only page file.. But thats what he said happened when he did it. And I know its not factory overclocked... Or is it?

Ok, Page File is just space your hard drive uses to store data, NOTHIGN MORE!!! You can not, under any circumstance, use virtual memory to overclock any componet of the PC. Zip. Zotta. Natta.

You can raise the Page File to 500GB if you truly wanted to, and experience absolutly NO performance gain whatsoever. Page File is so useless it's ridiculous. I only ever use 280MB of it on average. Never goes above 310MB. It just stores useless crap, like the memory that Solitaire takes up, likly stored in the Page File. That and system processes get stored in Page File, so that your RAM is useable for hard core applications.

Your friend is full of bologna. No laptop CPU comes factory overclocked, because it would generate way to much heat. The only companies that might overclock a laptop would be Alienware or VooDoo or some other custom PC builder. And liek you even said, it's an HP. It wasn't overclocked from the factory, the BIOS, or by the Page File. He's a lyin' sack of shitte. Plain and simple. :D

On a few of the HP laptops with P4s you were able to flash the bios with the flashed bios it rased the FSB hence raising the clock of the CPU. co-worker did it to his

Well, OCing a lappy might be possible, but I highly advise against it. That's just asking for a meltdown inside the laptop...

Back
Top Bottom