Determaining CrossFire supported cards?

Ok, today I was browsing Newegg.com and checking out video cards, and I saw the X1600PRO, which has 512MB GDDR2 memory and at a fairly low price. So I decide, "Hey! This is a sweet card! I wonder if its got CrossFire?" So, I browse the X1600PRo 512 versions, no CrossFire cards. However, I decide to check out the X1600XT models. Sure enough, I get cards that say, "CrossFire ready", and "CrossFire supported." Now, I'm knowledgable in the video card area, however, when it comes to CrossFire X1600 cards, I'm a tad bit lost.

So, I turn to you guys! :D My question is rather simple and hopefully you guys can answer it. Can I combine the X1600PRO 512MB GDDR2 card with the X1600XT 256MB GDDR3 CrossFire Supported card? Or... Do I have to get a regular X1600XT card and a X1600XT CrossFire ready card, or the CrossFire Supported card? Also, which card is the one I use as the master? Because you have the CrossFire ready, and CrossFire supported, which is which!? :confused:

No, they have to the be exact same chipset. And for the record (not sure if it was asked or not) but, you dont need a crossfire mastercard.

All X800 and X1k cards are CrossFire compatible. You can mix and match different cards for CrossFire. So for example, you can have the X1900 XTX CrossFire Edition and the X1800 XT and they'll work. That's the advantage of CrossFire that SLI lacks.

Arrizx, you do need a CrossFire Master card. Why? Because it has a special chip on the PCB and plug that allows it to work with another ATI card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(GPU)

When in doubt, Wikipedia is your friend. :D

Alvino, people tell me that wikipedia tells lies and the articles are donated by regular day people. But IDK.

Yeah, I think CrossFire is better than SLI because any crossfire card can work with any other crossfire card. But I can't find any crossfire mobos really.

alvino said:
All X800 and X1k cards are CrossFire compatible. You can mix and match different cards for CrossFire. So for example, you can have the X1900 XTX CrossFire Edition and the X1800 XT and they'll work. That's the advantage of CrossFire that SLI lacks.

Arrizx, you do need a CrossFire Master card. Why? Because it has a special chip on the PCB and plug that allows it to work with another ATI card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_%28GPU%29

When in doubt, Wikipedia is your friend. :D

Damn, well I read that somewhere. I swear, I heard that.. :)

1337DuD3 said:
Awesome! I can get that X1600PRO w/ 512MB of memory! However, I need you guys to look somethign over for me.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814102653

It says that it's CrossFire compatiple, however, does it have the Master chipset? Which card do I need to have to complete the CrossFire set up?

Only the X850 XT PE, X1800 XT and X1900 XTX are CrossFire Edition Master cards. So you need one of those and any other X or X1k series card for full CrossFire.

The Power said:
Alvino, people tell me that wikipedia tells lies and the articles are donated by regular day people. But IDK.

The vast majority of the Wikipedia articles are written by the editors of the site. If it was written by someone else, they usually check and edit everything. People don't donate anything other than money for the server payments.

The Power said:
Yeah, I think CrossFire is better than SLI because any crossfire card can work with any other crossfire card. But I can't find any crossfire mobos really.

That's because ATI has finally perfected the RD480 CrossFire chipset. Previous versions were buggy and didn't work that well.

alvino said:
Only the X850 XT PE, X1800 XT and X1900 XTX are CrossFire Edition Master cards. So you need one of those and any other X or X1k series card for full CrossFire.

Interesting. Because multiple people keep saying that they have them BOTH in CrossFire. What are you referring to? Are you saying that I won't be able to have all the options of CrossFire enabled. Please refer me to a link of some sort. :confused:

[EDIT] After rereading your post you say,

So you need one of those and any other X or X1k series card for full CrossFire.

So any X1K family card has the chipset? Which includes the X1600. I don't know, still partially lost on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom