No picture on the screen

Kage said:
EDIT:

It can't be the above then :p

Plug the connnection from the power into the video card. Even though I thought you said you already had.

If you have done this, there still might be a chance.

Make sure that the lead going to the video card, hasn't got any other splitters connecting to other hardware, like hard drive.

You'll find the video card will want its own power source, and so, if its connected to anything else (Power Molex connectors can have splitters to connect to other devices on the same power line), it might be delivering less power at the end of the branch than if you had none connected to it.

So try this.

I hope this helps :)

Bulls-eye Kage, in fact I have a fan connected to the same power line. That's the good news, the bad news is that I don't have any more power molex connectors to spare for this fan.

I have one hdd and one cd-drive on one of the connectors, and the GPU+fan on the other. Does that mean that I have to get another PSU to be able to use all of these things.
I mean, it's not much hardware, and this is a new PSU with 450 w... I should be able to connect more hardware in this case...

What fan is it connected to?
If its a case fan, I'd ask to to dissconnect that to test it without it on.
If its a fan of any more importance, dont.

but I have a feeling its a case fan, in which case, dissconnect it for one moment and only have the vidoe card plugged in.

I highly doubt though the fan is taking up alot of power... thats whats confusing me.

EDIT:

What caused the blue screen? How did you get Windows to load?

I tried to connect a single power line to the GPU exclusively, but when I started the computer I got the same problem. Could it be some BIOS setting that causes this, or is my GPU/motherboard faulty? What should I do now?

The blue screen was due to my hdd being adjusted to my old motherboard, and after a successful reformatting of the disc, I was able to install and run Windows without problems.
My system works perfectly now, temperatures and all, except for this GPU problem.

Yeah I knew it was something to do with the old drive having XP on it.

As for the problem your having. I hda a feeling that the fan wouldn't take that much power and so shouldn't have been a problem anyway.

It could be something to do with your card, but since your motherboard handles the connection, it could also be this...

I'm sorry, I can't be of much help now. I hope someone can figure it out :)

Early signs to me, tell me its the video card.
Try to take it out and then place it back, and make sure its firmly in. Thats all I could possibly suggest I'm afraid.

Got it, thanks for all the help anyway! Wouldn't have gotten this far without your help. :)

No problems.
Though, if a mate of yours or someone has a motherboard that will power that card, it may be worth checking it out and plugging that card into their system.
Thats one sure way of knowing if its your card or not.

UPDATE: I realized that aside from connecting the PSU to a PCI-express power slot on the mobo, I was supposed to connect the PSU directly to the GPU. Something I had failed to see before.

The GPU power connector has a 6-pin male connector, and the PSU a 6-pin female for PCI-express. But it doesn't fit very well onto the GPU, I had a great deal of trouble connecting the two.
And then later I found that included with the GPU was a cable with two 3-pin male molex connectors (but with the size of four, just that the left pin is missing on each), and on the other end one 6-pin female (though it is missing one of the metal connectors in the lower middle female.) Anyway, this 6-pin female fits perfectly into the GPU power slot, and then I connect the other two ends to two 12 v 4-pin molex connectors from the PSU.

When I start the computer now, the screen is still tinged with red, but I don't get the message that the GPU has insufficient power anymore.
I have drawn the conclusion that the GPU has been adjusted to the low-performance mode, so that ut doesn't understand that it has got sufficient power supplied to it now. I guess this can be solved by somehow resetting the GPU? What do you guys think?

I have uninstalled the GPU, shut down the computer, reset CMOS and removed the card, and then installed everything again, but I still get the red color.

Any suggestions?

Also, aside from the direct 2x12v connection to the GPU there is also a slot on the mobo that is 12 v for PCI-express slots. The manual says that it is optional but recommended to supply power to that too. Do I really need to connect all these four 12 v molex connectors to my motherboard? It seems a bit overkill...

Back
Top Bottom