No picture on the screen

UPDATE: I have found that a screw does not tighten, it seems not to have a connection with the brass standoff, is that probably the cause of all this? I am asking this here first because I'm not very eager to remove the motherboard and check the brass standoff, if it isn't anything...
Ohh, and if I should remove the motherboard, can I let the processor and heatsink stick to the mobo? That would spare me some days waiting for new phase change to arrive.

Kage: the manual doesn't explicitly say that it needs the extra 12 v power, just that it is supplied with two optional 12 v connectors.

As for the speaker, it is a very new motherboard, so I guess it should have an internal speaker?

I'd assume it'd have a speaker, yes.

As for the motherboard, it seems like it could be the issue.

I'd remove all screws, and if your careful (putting the case on its side for instance), you can probably take the motherboard out without affecting the CPU yes.

Make sure your careful about static too though, and power it up again once all screws are out, but on a stable surface may I add, and no where near metal or anywhere near static like carpets. Some people wouldn't recommend this, but its one way of checking.

I wouldn't know what to say if it ended up to be that, and what you'd have to do.

Some motherboards come with these stands that allow yo to place the motherboard between foam so that the metal can't in any way make contact.

Ok, here comes an extreme beginner question: How do I ground myself? I have heard that one way is to connect the antistatic to the case, while it is connected to the power outlet, but with the I/O off. That way you ground yourself properly. Is that true or just total BS?

I think this problem with the brass standoff was caused when I tried to screw another, longer screw into the chassi through the mobo, but it didn't go down so I understood then that it was the wrong kind of screw. It was a pain to get rid of it, and I remember angling it a bit in the end before I removed it. Probably I have damaged the brass standoff or something, but I am certain it will work now if I check that it's properly fastened to the case or maybe replace it with a new one. Those foam solutions are outta the question for a newbie like me. :p
Besides, I have talked to a guy who got this type of motherboard to work perfectly with the same kind of case.

Yes thats true. Touching the case that way would earth you. Same with if you touched a radiator, etc.
The best way is to get an AntiStatic bracelet which either connects to the computer casel or to the wall socket, but thats not really needed if your really careful.

Yeah, you probably did damage it, but lets hope we can sort it out :p

So yeah, try to do what I said, and if it starts up, you know its nothing more serious.

Kage said:
Yes thats true. Touching the case that way would earth you. Same with if you touched a radiator, etc.
The best way is to get an AntiStatic bracelet which either connects to the computer casel or to the wall socket, but thats not really needed if your really careful.

Yeah, you probably did damage it, but lets hope we can sort it out :p

So yeah, try to do what I said, and if it starts up, you know its nothing more serious.

Great. I'll get to work then, I'll report back later. Thanks for the help so far, without it I would still stand clueless.

Apparently, one of the brass standoffs did not stick at all to the case, and when I lifted the motherboard out, it was stuck to the screw on the motherboard.
Anyway, I replaced it with a new standoff, and installe the motherboard again, but now it seems that none of the screws tighten. You get a bit of resistance in the beginning, but after that you can just go on screwing in eternity without it tightening at all.
The motherboard is not properly aligned with the brass standoffs, but I can't make it any better because the rear port grill is a bit uneven.

Anyway, I suspect there's something wrong with my case seeing that the screws won't fasten against the standoff, and when they do they take the whole standoff with them apparently.

Any advice what I should do?

I have gotten only one of all nine screws to fasten correctly to the brass standoffs. The strange thing is that they are all of the same size and shape, so this shouldn't be happening!

Additionally, I have uninstalled the motherboard and tried to use all the screws on all the standoff, and they have fastened correctly.

I managed to successfully screw the mobo onto the case, and now I've managed to start up my computer.
But there is something wrong with the colours, the picture I get is mostly filled with red, though you can see everything, it has got a great deal of red in it. As if I was viewing the screen through a red filter.

And then when I start up the PC, I get a blue screen that tells me there is something wrong with my harddrive. This is an old harddrive from my previous computer, is it maybe because it doesn't recognize my mobo that it doesn't work?

And what do you think is the cause of this red discoloration? I know for sure that it isn't the screen, since I've tried it on my other PC.

As before, I am thankful of ANY help. :)

Observe that the fans are all running good, and that this discolouration sets in immediately when I boot my PC. Therefore I have concluded that it does not have anything to do with the Geforce overheating.

Side thought: Could it be that the GPU has to be installed through Windows before it works correctly (gives correct colours)?

sure it isnt the graphics driver causing problems. im sure if you update the drivers or download some it will work peoperly. make sure the bios detected the hdd. thats what i had to do on my old pc before it reconisez it and could start up

No, I don't think that it's because of a driver, because now when I enter windows, I get a message saying that the GPU hasn't got enough power, and therefore runs at a minimal performance.

The thing is that I have double-checked all the connections, plus the PSU is a 450 w, and I dont have lots of hdd's and stuff like that.

Anyone got a clue? Bad motherboard or faulty GPU?

I think I know why. It isn't XP on the hard drive is it?

If so, you'll find XP doesn't like new hardware for security reasons I believe, and so, doens't start up.

What you'll need to do is get another hard drive with a newly windows installed on it, and transfer the data from the one that doens't read the new PC, to the other.

Quite tedious I know, but if its the case, its one way of sorting it out.

As for the colours being a bit messed up. it seems like your running from a VGA cable, which splits colours up into RGB (Red, Green, Blue). its possible you haven't tightened it enough at the back, or, it might be the VGA cable itself.

I hope these suggestions help :)

EDIT:

It can't be the above then :p

Plug the connnection from the power into the video card. Even though I thought you said you already had.

If you have done this, there still might be a chance.

Make sure that the lead going to the video card, hasn't got any other splitters connecting to other hardware, like hard drive.

You'll find the video card will want its own power source, and so, if its connected to anything else (Power Molex connectors can have splitters to connect to other devices on the same power line), it might be delivering less power at the end of the branch than if you had none connected to it.

So try this.

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom