upgrading tips for people who know what there doing!!!!!

Chopkilla

Baseband Member
eesh don't you guys just hate going into a comptuer store and they think they know everything thats awesome for your computer... it just makes me sick.... but anyway this is my rig so far

Motherboard: Gigabyte ga7400l
amd athlong 3000+
1 gig stick ram
ati radeon 9200 se

and i'm lookn for an upgrade... i have 4 ram slots.. but for some reason only 1 works... and i can only run at 133 fsb... which is costn me a bit from my 512 doin 2.16ghz... to this 1gig doin 1.17 ghz... i'm confused about that..

but i'm lookn for a complete "uber" lol.... gaming computer... playing all the best games out there with wicked qual.. at high stantards... maybe some ideas.... or maybe not the "best" but something that will make quake 4 and doom 3 look great... or wow... or ever... unreal tournament

You're looking at spending 2 grand or more for a "wicked" PC. We can gather parts for you to get if you're willing to spend that kind of dough. It will totally blow away the techs minds at the computer store.

We've got to move you up to PCI-express, lol. That motherboard looks ancient. When did you buy all those?

9200 se sucks.. If you want a great gaming machine then get a pentium 1 .08mhz FSB with 32 mb of ram and get the nf1 dogsh*t(awesome board) and then get an old dell case. 5W power supply should do the trick and also get a 16 mb graphics card made by my grandma.

No but seriously, what kind of cash do you want to spend. I can build you a computer that would blow your mind. Come on... Quad SLI 2 dual core processors 8G of OCZ Platinum... HAHA I dont know.. What kind of money you got to work with?

that's the exact same graphics card the dude was showing me.. but with my specs should i just buy that card.. or upgrade everytthing... and i'm lookn at... about.. 1500 canadian

I'm not familiar with that motherboard at all so I can't give you a definite answer. If you're using the latest motherboard with AGP support, then the most you'll need as far as upgrade goes is a new CPU. I'm assuming that 1GB RAM is DDR PC3200? RAM should be ok if that's what it is. CPU could be much improved.

I would say give that CPU a good upgrade along with the video card. You should have a bad ass system. AGP is kind of getting old with the new PCI-express taking over the market. Faster. But you have to work with what you have, unless you want to give your PC a complete makeover.

so you saying the ram is not so good? i just bought it a few days ago... just to upgrade... since only 1 ram slot only works on my motherboard...... but if i buy that card all i would need is just a motherboard in the end?

I didn't say the RAM wasn't good. I said the CPU can be upgraded along with a new video card. RAM is fine. Make sure that both of your RAM sticks are the same speed (DDR400). Preferably all the same brand for maximum compatiblity. Try putting them in different combinations to see if they'll work. You don't have to upgrade the motherboard. The video card you got now doesn't seem all that good. THat defintely needs upgrading. You can get by with the CPU, but it would be nice to get a faster one.

Back
Top Bottom