.NET Runtime error showing in event viewer

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
I have a ".NET Runtime" error showing in event viewer.....anyone know what this is, or how to fix it?

Try uninstalling .NET framework 2 if you have it. I think Microsoft Update throws that in as a critical update or something and it may have been download and got installed.

I have "microsoft .net framework 1.1", "microsoft .net framework 1.1 Hotfix", and "microsoft .net framework 2.0" all showing under add and remove programs.
1. Do I need all of these?
2. Do I need any of these?
3. Why would just having these cause a .net runtime error?

The error properties lists this:
"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( .NET Runtime ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Unable to open shim database version registry key - v2.0.50727.00000."

Some programs need the .net 1.1 to work. It's a web service developed by Microsoft for Windows to enable you to use your application software any time, any place, on any device. Web services cannot work without the .Net Framework. To me, 2.0 is like Windows SP2. You don't really need Framework 2.0 to run. Just leave the 1.1 there. If that solves the problem, then it's fixed. If not, then I have no clue.

i did a repair installation of 2.0, so i'll give it a day or two and see if there are any more .net runtime errors in the event log. if that dosn't help, maybe i'll just uninstall it alltogether. thanks for the help.

Your welcome. I don't know too much about .Net, just the very basics on what it does. LK is a .Net freak I think. He knows a lot more about this, but he hasn't been on for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom