250W PS with a Radeon x700 Pro

jbs4life

Baseband Member
ok, I'm new to computer hardware and installing new hardware. My current power supply is 250W and I'm looking to buy a new video card (ATI Radeon x700 Pro). But, the card says a 300W power supply or greater is recommended.

If I install the card with my 250W PS will it even work at all? Or will I have to dish out some extra money for a new PS?

Thanks.

It'll probably work. But you'll be drawing to much power so the fail safe connections will stop running. Generally the monitor. You need to have at least what it specifies to guaruntee that it'll work correctly. So yea, i would recommend you buy a better PSU. Thats the same problem I'm about to run into, the GPU i want requires a 475w psu. While i only have 305w in my rig now.

yeah...you'll definitely need a greater power supply if you want to get the most of that card.

It depends on how much power your system is sipping overall. If it's not that much, then it should be fine. If you're nearly at the limit, buy a new one. Actually to be safe, just buy one...maybe about 450w-500w should be fine. Why? Because it provides lots of overhead for future upgrades.

alvino said:
It depends on how much power your system is sipping overall. If it's not that much, then it should be fine. If you're nearly at the limit, buy a new one. Actually to be safe, just buy one...maybe about 450w-500w should be fine. Why? Because it provides lots of overhead for future upgrades.

How can I check to see how much my comp is already using?

--

And also, will most PS's work? Or do I have to find a certain type to fit my PC?

jbs4life said:
ok, I'm new to computer hardware and installing new hardware. My current power supply is 250W and I'm looking to buy a new video card (ATI Radeon x700 Pro). But, the card says a 300W power supply or greater is recommended.

If I install the card with my 250W PS will it even work at all? Or will I have to dish out some extra money for a new PS?

Thanks.

Yes you need a new PSU. Don't even play around. If you don't get a better PSU, the following could happen:

1) You'll blow your current PSU and maybe even start a fire

2) Devices in your computer will fail to load... Namely your hard drive. Or during operation, your HD could end up hiccuping and causing errors and bad sectors... Simply, you'll kill your hard drive.

3) You'll blow your motherboard or fry a circuit.

Don't think you won't do it, because it has happened. If you're installing something that eats power, give it what it needs or pay the ultimate price afterwards.

I agree. They tell you the minimum requirements for the power supply for a reason. If it says you need at least a 300W PSU, then that's what you need to upgrade to and maybe a little bit more since you're upgrading. You'll overwork the PSU and risk system shut down.

*whoa, I feel like I'm high right now. Light-headed, brain flying around. Too much Cherry Coke*

Haha...yeah, I get that feeling when I mix games with Monster Energy at like 10 at night. :p

It feels so wierd. It's like my whole body is separated and I'm acting on impulse. Then you feel sleepy afterwards like I am right now. More tired than sleepy. Someone tried to talk to me just now and I completely ignored them. It was like Charlie Brown's teacher talking: "wawawawawawa".

I had a 64 ounce Cherry Coke, and a second refill at CHevron gas station before I got home from work just now. I am experiencing it's amazing after effects.

Back
Top Bottom