Wasup peeps, what do you think of the rig I'm building?!

mr.monger said:
that is a sick computer.... one thing i suggest: get a x1900xtx, its better than 7800gtx. and i think its cheaper.

I agree with that. also, you might wana wait and save up. Windows vista is coming out later this year and new video cards are. I would wait if I were you. I am sure you can do with your current one now.

ChampMark said:
Question 5#
It has dual Rj45's would it matter if I hooked up the same internet to the both ports. I mean I got 3 meg dsl, but would it make a difference if I had two lines running to it... (I could understand if I had like T1 or something like that)
no

ChampMark said:
I've not completed it yet, still in the process of buying it all.

So here is the skanks specs!

Case: Black X-SuperAlien 500 watt PSU (going to get probably a 650+ the psu has bad ratings on this case, but the case is awesome none-the-less)
CPU: 246 Sledgehammer Opteron (2.0 gighz, 800 mhz fsb)
CPU: 246 SledgeHammer Opteron (2.0 gighz, 800 mhz fsb)
MB: TYAN S2895UA2NRF (Dual Processing, Dual 16 Bit PCI-E *unprecedent speeds*, Dual PCI-X 64 bits Operating at 100 mhz, and another pci-x Running at 133 mhz, PCI Slot, Dual 1 Gig RJ45s, Can run dual u320 SCSI hdds, or up to 4 Sata-II hdds *transfer up to 3.0 gighs per line, which the board has 2 sata-II ports*
Ram: 8 gigs PC3200 Corsair, ECC, Registered.
HDD: (Not sure if I'm going with dual SCSI u320, or Dual Sata-II HDD's, the motherboard has Nvraid)
CD/DVD Rom: (Probably wont get one, I will just network my pcs together)
Floppy: (Same idea, just network'em)
Video Card: BFG 7800 GTX 512 Mb (the OC'd One, although I am still thinking about the card, pretty pricey.)
22 Inch CRT IBM monitor
O/S: Windows XP Pro *Can't beat ebay prices on that!*

Please comment away!

You're insane...
Are you building a server or something? If so, then why a 7800 GTX? 8 gigs of ram?! Windows XP can only read 2 gigs... Good luck with it reading 8. PCI-X or PCI-E? PCI-E = PCI-Express... PCI-X = PCI-2.0 (I think). They're different. They are not the same.

You're wasting your money. You could get something much faster for less.

Question 1#
I've not really googled it but beings it runs dual processors, does anybody know if you can have a faster processor on one side and a slower on the other side. Because if I spend like 40$ more on the processor it's 200 mhz faster. (I've already purchased one processor and there is no return policy :(, they lowered the price 38$ after I buy it, and lowerd the price to the next step up as well heh.)

Gotta be the same or you'll have some serious issues.

Question 2#
Can you run the board with a single processor, I'm getting the motherboard in a few days, and I want to get it up and test running because the return policys are pretty sh***y on expensive items.

Yep... But why would you want to? If you're going to pay 500 bucks on a motherboard, then take FULL advantage of it!

Question 3#
Do you have to run Dual Channel memory on a 64 bit processors, not like your using the other 32 bit rofl. Because I have an extra stick of 512 pc3200 ram in my pc, that I'm gonna borrow (has a gig of ram). And Win64 is a waste of money, nobody even makes drivers for it yet.

You don't have to if you don't want to... But Dual Channelling 8 sticks of ram... Good luck!

Question 4#
I'm going to probably OC my CPUs, which company makes great Heat Sink? I see Zalmans everywhere. I got burned on a Heat Sink a while back, the regular amd heat sink whooped it's can. I even stuck it on a duron 1.3 gighz, and it couldn't keep it cool enough... :/

It would be pointless to overclock a Dual processor rig unless you know what you're doing. Good luck!

Question 5#
It has dual Rj45's would it matter if I hooked up the same internet to the both ports. I mean I got 3 meg dsl, but would it make a difference if I had two lines running to it... (I could understand if I had like T1 or something like that)

No. That doesn't make sense. You can't access the internet from two seperate connections. Windows only assigns winsocks to one physical address. Your other Ethernet connection would be for net sharing... Best used when using your server as a router.

Lets say you were to hook both Ethernet ports to a router. You will get the same bandwidth you did with just one. The speed on both are 10/100/1000 which is a Gigabit line.

Also what do you guys think of Light Srcibe DVD Burners, anybody try them out?

They're good! I'm getting one!

Oh, here is my old rig as of soon.

MB: MSI k7n2 Delta-L
CPU: 3200 Amd Barton Core
Ram: 1 gig PC 3200 Inferno, with heat spreaders
HDD: SCSI u160 73 GIG, and a 40 gig IDE HDD
Lite on DVD (kinda old, but does the job)
Floppy (What's the point, 1.44 mb just doesn't cut it anymore)
Vid Card: BFG 6800 GT OC (Just bought it for some idiotic reason)
Case: Blue X-Blade case with a 450 Watt PSU
O/S: Windows XP Home

(Sigh, my sister has dibbs on my current computer. I'm running out of room, got a Laptop in here as well. 3 computers, and 3 monitors just doesn't fit on my desk... Lol!)

Thanks for the comments etc.

P.S.
Purchased List:
CPU
Case
MB
Windows XP Pro

My pleasure! I'm glad to have been some help.

No, not really, but I thought it would be fun. I want Windows 64 Bit, but it doesn't work with anything. I'd prefer 4 processors over 2 (due to software change)... I'm just building it because I want to build it, there is really no particular reason. Should there have to be? There is only one more step up from that mother board, and well, I can't see spending 1k on a board. I mean who needs 4 processors, and 64 gigs of ram? Also, Windows XP Pro can recognize 4 gigs of ram, if I turn off pagefile.
Anyways I'll probably only get 4 gigs of ram, 2 gigs per processor.

Did you check the motherboards specs, Pci-x is different then PCI-E.
PCI Express x16 2
PCI-X Slots (64-bit 133MHz) 1
PCI-X Slots (64-bit 100MHz) 2
PCI Slots 1

See...?!
Here is the website for the specs of the motherboard.

(The reason why I'm gonna run a single processor, is because that's all I've purchased so far rofl, In like a week or so, I'm gonna buy another processor. I only make 500$ a week.)

Alright I'm not sure why I don't understand this, but maybe I'm just not reading enough about SCSI. Why do they make an 80 Pin slot for the SCSI HDD's but companies only put 68 pin slots on there motherboards... I'm Assuming the other few wires are for power, but why? The motherboard I ordered isn't cheap and isn't an old model.

I just find that kinda werid.

ChampMark said:
No, not really, but I thought it would be fun. I want Windows 64 Bit, but it doesn't work with anything. I'd prefer 4 processors over 2 (due to software change)... I'm just building it because I want to build it, there is really no particular reason. Should there have to be? There is only one more step up from that mother board, and well, I can't see spending 1k on a board. I mean who needs 4 processors, and 64 gigs of ram? Also, Windows XP Pro can recognize 4 gigs of ram, if I turn off pagefile.
Anyways I'll probably only get 4 gigs of ram, 2 gigs per processor.

Ah, is it 4 gigs? I figured as much... Alright then... I made a mistake. 4 gigs is the max... But why do you want 8 gigs? Windows won't recognize the other 4 gigs you have there (unless you have Linux).

In anycase, you're wasting your money.

ChampMark said:
Did you check the motherboards specs, Pci-x is different then PCI-E.
PCI Express x16 2
PCI-X Slots (64-bit 133MHz) 1
PCI-X Slots (64-bit 100MHz) 2
PCI Slots 1

See...?!
Here is the website for the specs of the motherboard.

(The reason why I'm gonna run a single processor, is because that's all I've purchased so far rofl, In like a week or so, I'm gonna buy another processor. I only make 500$ a week.)

Alright I'm not sure why I don't understand this, but maybe I'm just not reading enough about SCSI. Why do they make an 80 Pin slot for the SCSI HDD's but companies only put 68 pin slots on there motherboards... I'm Assuming the other few wires are for power, but why? The motherboard I ordered isn't cheap and isn't an old model.

I just find that kinda werid.

What are you going to do with PCI-X? The motherboard is obviously for servers. Instead of wasting your money on the motherboard, you should get an AMD FX-60 with 2 gigs of TCCD ram, instead of the ram you picked out.
Then you should buy a watercooling kit and overclock the living socks out of it! Then add some glitter to the case....
You're willing to sacrifice speed and efficiency for on-paper marvel. Having a dual processor MB will not speed up your computer. It'll just make it one expensive multi-tasking server.

Geez, dude. Buy 2 7800 GTX 512 cards and run SLI. You are just seriously wasting your money. Man, I'm glad it's not my money.

yeah do you have money growing on a tree? Anyhow no offence ur wasting ur money...dont know why you neeed all that stuff...

Okay, the FX-60 isn't that great of a processor, it's an Fx-55 over clocked with the multiplyer set at 13. And the processor is 2k. Not a single part on my pc is 2k... I said 8 gigs to get a kick out of it, and notice where I said I'd more then likely just get 4 gigs. Other then linux, and windows server 2003 will only recongize up to 20 gigs of ram (not sure about linux), so an additional 4 gigs is useless, as I've found out.

I don't think it's a waste of money, I have a work horse pc, that can be used for gaming. As I've read many pages on gaming machines, and server pcs have been suggested, just as single processing machines have as well. The bios on the board can oc processors, so I'm not sure the difficult part about over clocking the processors. 600 Mhz isn't worth a 1.8k increase for a processor. I've got 2 Processors together working at 4 gighz, other then the 2.6 gighz, which cost me 1.6k less. Then I'll be running Either Dual SCSI U320 drives, or Dual Sata-II drives with an NvRaid setup. Which most boards don't support pci-x, and even SCSI-u320 Drives, let alone the u160s. So with a common single processor board, your stuck with only PCI slots, which work at 33 mhz (I believe, might be 66 mhz). And if I wanted to, I could purchase with that extra 1.6k I saved and get a case that offers water cooling, or custom my case, since it is like 2 feet tall, I have plenty of room.

Waste huh? Dual 7800 GTX 512 mb cards is a waste, there isn't even anything that can over power a 7800 GTX 512 mb card as it stands. So why Add an additional 800$ dollar card to a system that's already great.

In comparison to another system, this computer will be a very stable pc, beings it's built for server work and what not. I'm wanting a very versatile pc, that can handle both gaming, and heavy work loads, such as Video Encoding, and Dvd Authoring, and Music chopping etc.

Just to understand you guys a little more clearly, specifically tell me how and why I am wasting my money... And what if I have money growing out of my ass, never knew it was any of your concern...

With the pards you guys have suggested, the Fx-60 processor being 2k, and the additional 512 video card. That'd would of been 2800$, I've would have already built my machine with that, with a monitor and keyboard, mouse speakers, and even flowers in a vase on my desk.

You say that it's a waste of money, where and how is it?

Back
Top Bottom