No picture on the screen

Rahiyja

Baseband Member
Hi.
I am building a new computer, and have managed to get it all connected and stuff, and am about to start it.
But alas, there is no picture on my computer screen when I turn the computer on, even though I have checked that the gfx card is properly inserted and supplied with an extra 12 v connection. The GPU fan rotates, but as I said, I get no picture.
I have checked the connections both inside and outside the computer, and have re-inserted the GPU, without any better results.

When I run the screen in DVI, it says "check connections", and when I run it in analogue there is just a black picture.
Anyone who has got the faintest idea what this is all about?

The mobo is a ABIT KN8-Ultra, and the GPU a MSI Geforce 6800 GS. Additionally, my PC Case is an Antec Sonata II, with original PSU.

Maybe I should mention that I am using an old harddrive from my previous computer, could it be the thing that's causing all this trouble? I mean, maybe it doesn't want to start because it doesn't recognize the new motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

maybe it is not getting enough power, wait a few hours and someone will probally help you i pesonally dont know the answer to this one...

What are the specs?

ahh nvm didint see them, what watts the psu and whats 12v rail does it have?

Are you getting any beeps? Even if you are using an old hard drive, you should at least get a bios screen- or a beep, something to indicate it's on. Make sure your motherboard is grounded good in the rear of the case- no loose screws.

Plus (I found this with PC's in Uni), if your monitor has a button called 'Change output' or something, it seems to switch between a dual screen type interface on the monitor alone. That caused a few problems before someone sttarted pressing buttons, and realised it was on the wrong output.

Apart from that, all i can say to check cables coming from the GPU to the monitor, and to check screws, etc like pctechmike says.

You should be hearing beeps though. Thats a sign that the computers okay... or not, depending. This would happen, before the monitor would kick in. All the fans would work anyway once they have power.

Plus, check your motherboard doesn't need a 12v connector from the PSU. That was another problem of mine when building :p

Osak said:
What are the specs?

ahh nvm didint see them, what watts the psu and whats 12v rail does it have?

Actually, I don't know if they are 12v or not, all I know is that they are 4-pin females going from the PSU.
The PSU came with the case and is an Antec Smartpower 2.0 (450 w).

pctechmike said:
Are you getting any beeps? Even if you are using an old hard drive, you should at least get a bios screen- or a beep, something to indicate it's on. Make sure your motherboard is grounded good in the rear of the case- no loose screws.

No, no beeps at all, just the fans going on.
Ok, I'll check the screws again.

Kage said:
Plus (I found this with PC's in Uni), if your monitor has a button called 'Change output' or something, it seems to switch between a dual screen type interface on the monitor alone. That caused a few problems before someone sttarted pressing buttons, and realised it was on the wrong output.

Apart from that, all i can say to check cables coming from the GPU to the monitor, and to check screws, etc like pctechmike says.

You should be hearing beeps though. Thats a sign that the computers okay... or not, depending. This would happen, before the monitor would kick in. All the fans would work anyway once they have power.

Plus, check your motherboard doesn't need a 12v connector from the PSU. That was another problem of mine when building :p

My screen automatically senses which output to use, so that's not the problem. As I said in the post above, there is no beep, but the fans do go on.
Is that a very bad sign, should I avoid starting up the computer? I mean, can there be any damage done to bios and the like if I start it up and then shut it down?

My mobo doesn't need additional 12v power, but it says in the manual that it is recommended to supply it, at least to the PCI-e GPU slot.

Ok, I'll check the screws all over again and will get back to you.

Maybe I should mention that when I installed my motherboard, I didn't get a good grip of it really, I had my left hand on the rear and my right by the front, and when I got to inserting it finally, of course my left hand was a bit in the way. So I moved the mobo a little bit to my fingertips, and tried to set it down as carefully as possible, but alas, the motherboard ended up a bit too far to the right, you could see a bit of the brass standoffs through the holes, so I thought "why not just slide it over to the holes, can't hurt", which I then did.
Now in retrospect, is it possible that I may have shortcut some circuit on the motherboard by sliding it over the brass standoffs which leads to this problem?

Not if you did it while it was off :p...

But yeah, check connections, and also, if your getting no beeps, it might be a bad sign.

But it could also mean you haven't connected the internal speaker... unless the motherboard has one built in (never mind then),

but you should be getting something.

I have a feeling somethings happening when turning it on, so its not getting to the point where it turns the monitor on.

As for the 12V power. I meant the one that plugs into the motherboard. Some need it you see, but yours might not.
And as for the GPU slot, some cards may need that yes, but you've said you've plugged that up, so thats not the problem.

Back
Top Bottom