Wasup peeps, what do you think of the rig I'm building?!

ChampMark

Baseband Member
I've not completed it yet, still in the process of buying it all.

So here is the skanks specs!

Case: Black X-SuperAlien 500 watt PSU (going to get probably a 650+ the psu has bad ratings on this case, but the case is awesome none-the-less)
CPU: 246 Sledgehammer Opteron (2.0 gighz, 800 mhz fsb)
CPU: 246 SledgeHammer Opteron (2.0 gighz, 800 mhz fsb)
MB: TYAN S2895UA2NRF (Dual Processing, Dual 16 Bit PCI-E *unprecedent speeds*, Dual PCI-X 64 bits Operating at 100 mhz, and another pci-x Running at 133 mhz, PCI Slot, Dual 1 Gig RJ45s, Can run dual u320 SCSI hdds, or up to 4 Sata-II hdds *transfer up to 3.0 gighs per line, which the board has 2 sata-II ports*
Ram: 8 gigs PC3200 Corsair, ECC, Registered.
HDD: (Not sure if I'm going with dual SCSI u320, or Dual Sata-II HDD's, the motherboard has Nvraid)
CD/DVD Rom: (Probably wont get one, I will just network my pcs together)
Floppy: (Same idea, just network'em)
Video Card: BFG 7800 GTX 512 Mb (the OC'd One, although I am still thinking about the card, pretty pricey.)
22 Inch CRT IBM monitor
O/S: Windows XP Pro *Can't beat ebay prices on that!*

Please comment away!

Question 1#
I've not really googled it but beings it runs dual processors, does anybody know if you can have a faster processor on one side and a slower on the other side. Because if I spend like 40$ more on the processor it's 200 mhz faster. (I've already purchased one processor and there is no return policy :(, they lowered the price 38$ after I buy it, and lowerd the price to the next step up as well heh.)

Question 2#
Can you run the board with a single processor, I'm getting the motherboard in a few days, and I want to get it up and test running because the return policys are pretty sh***y on expensive items.

Question 3#
Do you have to run Dual Channel memory on a 64 bit processors, not like your using the other 32 bit rofl. Because I have an extra stick of 512 pc3200 ram in my pc, that I'm gonna borrow (has a gig of ram). And Win64 is a waste of money, nobody even makes drivers for it yet.

Question 4#
I'm going to probably OC my CPUs, which company makes great Heat Sink? I see Zalmans everywhere. I got burned on a Heat Sink a while back, the regular amd heat sink whooped it's can. I even stuck it on a duron 1.3 gighz, and it couldn't keep it cool enough... :/

Question 5#
It has dual Rj45's would it matter if I hooked up the same internet to the both ports. I mean I got 3 meg dsl, but would it make a difference if I had two lines running to it... (I could understand if I had like T1 or something like that)

Also what do you guys think of Light Srcibe DVD Burners, anybody try them out?

Oh, here is my old rig as of soon.

MB: MSI k7n2 Delta-L
CPU: 3200 Amd Barton Core
Ram: 1 gig PC 3200 Inferno, with heat spreaders
HDD: SCSI u160 73 GIG, and a 40 gig IDE HDD
Lite on DVD (kinda old, but does the job)
Floppy (What's the point, 1.44 mb just doesn't cut it anymore)
Vid Card: BFG 6800 GT OC (Just bought it for some idiotic reason)
Case: Blue X-Blade case with a 450 Watt PSU
O/S: Windows XP Home

(Sigh, my sister has dibbs on my current computer. I'm running out of room, got a Laptop in here as well. 3 computers, and 3 monitors just doesn't fit on my desk... Lol!)

Thanks for the comments etc.

P.S.
Purchased List:
CPU
Case
MB
Windows XP Pro

1. Not so sure about it. If it's the exactly same cpu with just a faster clock speeds then I think that it could work. But no sure about this so wait for other ppl to reply.

2. Not 100% sure about this either, but I can't see why not. U can try it when u get the mobo, no harm done.

3. No, dual channel should work in all of the mobos supporting it. No matter if the cpu is 32 or 64 bit.

4. Zalmans are good. They are pretty quiet and keep the temps down. If u want to oc alot then u could also look at the watercooling kits. Of course watercooling will be more expensive, but will allow higher overclocks.

What are u going to use that computer for?
And I'd get a dvd-drive. They are not expensive and it's always good to have one.

I don't know what I want to use the pc for heh, I just want to build it, and tell my buddys they have horrible pcs rofl.

Na, actually I was thinking about running a RUNUO Server, sometime in the future. But then again I may not, but Heck, it'll be a pc that wont need to be upgraded for a while.

I buy a piece per week. Get paid once a week and live with my parents, I pay no bills!

no... dual processors have to be matched.

yes... this works fine the second processor slot is optional, and you could always wait to upgrade untill the next price fall... by that time it'll come as a pleasanty suprise to have a sudden kick of speed as well

unsure... I don't think it's the processor that utalises the dual channel it's the mother board... and most would be backwards compatible wiuth single and dual channel.

4, coolermaster... but plenty more people will have plenty more opinions on that.

5, you won't notice any speed differece at all, the network will be 100MB and if your DSL is 3Mb you can see how an extra 100MB line to the box won't make a difference, in terms of internet speed your network card is not the bottle neck.

6, no not tried them...

your soon to be old rig is still reasonably current... why the push for an upgrade?

I understard that my line is the bottleneck, I'm just wondering since there is 2 Rj45s, would my internet be more useful in terms of the pc using it more thorougly.

I just want a nice pc, that can't be bought at a retail store. Furthermore, I'm gonna be taking some College Classes, and will be looking into getting my A++ Cert, and will start a business. I'm sick of being an employe, I'd prefer being a boss.

I also like the expierence.

Thanks for the quick replys.

P.S.
I am not completely understanding the Ram line, it will work with Single Channel ram, or it wont? Beings that computers are pretty safe to incorrect installation I'm assuming sticking a 512 in the slot wouldn't hurt it at all, it'd just wont work etc, error screens and what not.

link me to the parts, on the website that you're getting them from.. i can't concentrate long enough to this forum to read all of that in your post..

also, i wouldn't suggest buying parts week by week, because by the time you get to the last half of the list, they could end up out of stock. (plus, shipping costs could be cheaper if they ship it in less boxes)

I'm not to worried about $4 shipping, the parts are all from newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151149 Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103611 CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575&ATT=20-145-575&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me
Ram

And the Vid card is out of stock, gonna probbaly ebay it, same with the monitor, they got them for around 200$.

I've got most of the parts really, the only difficult part would be the video card, the 7800 GTX 512 mb version is pretty difficult to find.

that is a sick computer.... one thing i suggest: get a x1900xtx, its better than 7800gtx. and i think its cheaper.

You know I thought the same, but I've read a few sites, and seen the benchmarks, furthermore BFG offers a life time warranty. And you are right it's about 200 to $300 cheaper. But the BFG is beffer for an SLI setup, which I may do. The only big thing it has over The 7800 is that it plays Fear Flawlessly.

Thanks for the suggestion I should probably do another comparison.

Back
Top Bottom