Overheating Problems

Zerofire

Beta member
Hey,

After much hassle (And dust bunnies in my face) I come to the conclusion that the reason my PC freezes/Locks-Up is because it's overheating. 'mazing, ain't it? Anyways, I've installed CPU Cool to check out my Temps. I've cleaned up the Fans. And it seems my Temps are still in high places. Temp 1 is normal, around 25 Celcius (Spelled right?) And Temp 2 (Dunno why there is a second one) is near 80 Celcius. Whenever I run games or something resourceful, it freezes.

So anyways, what do you guys think could be the problem for the computer overheating? I already unistalled my DVD drive and Disk Drive. Just left the CD-RW drive.

PS- I know some Basics about Computer so here are some specs.

Presario 6000
AMD Athlon 2200+ XP Home SP1
1.8 Ghz
736 RAM

Fans:
Well, eh, I know the Cooling one is Cooling Master, don't know what serial or part number. The power supply fan, however, runs very lightly, I don't know if has anything to do with it, though. It works, but, not as fast as the other two fans.

I had installed RAM thinking that was the cause, and it did help it for about 2 weeks then it locked up again.

Well, that's most of the info I could gather, if you need more data, tell me what you need and I'll look for it.

Many Thanks!

Laterz.........

I hope you don't have something in your computer running at 172F (80C). You could cook food on it! Usually when these 3rd party programs take the computer temp, they are fairly accurate. The first is usually the motherboard temp, and the second is usually the processor temp. You do have enough RAM, that it shouldn't be a problem for you to run games, granted, they may not perform as expected, but it shouldn't freeze you up. You said your power supply fan was running slow- this could be the issue. Can you swap out for a known good power supply? If it's not that, I would suspect bad memory, and you should run memtest86 on it just to be sure. I can tell you that I have a XP2500 Barton, which usually runs around 58C, which AMDs are known to run hot. 60-65C is pushing it, but 80- it should fry, and you shouldn't be able to turn it back on. Try another program, and see what the temps read.

Hey,

Well, I took it down to CompUSA and they told me the Fans were clogged up. (>_<) Tech told me there was no damage to any parts, he cleaned it using and Air Bottle and out came the dust. A lot, quite a lot. Anyways, this took down my Temp to 18C and 60C which he said was normal on AMDs. Anyways, thanks a lot for your help. I hope that will fix it, if not, I'll go up there again ^_^.

Laterz.......

Um,

Back to basics. Thanks for all your help, but, can you guys tell me of a good processor that does not heat up to 60c? AMDs heat up too much, I want one that goes around maybe 40C and that is pretty fast. Thanks. Also, just a light question. When installing a new Vid car, and the default one is integrated onto the MB, am I suppose to get a new power supply, or do I just install it and leave everything the same?

Many Thanks!

Ato........

hahaha, AMDs heat up too much? Its cuz you are using a Barton, thats why. They were on the 130nm process which causes for the heat. You are going to need to get a new motherboard and cpu and maybe video card if you want a new processor.

Back
Top Bottom