Athlon 3200 or P4 3.0 GHz

joe pic

Fully Optimized
I'm a little new when it comes to AMD processors, but does the
Athlon 64 3200+ w/ HT outbeat the Pentium 4 3.0 GHz w/ HT?
I know the P4's clock speed is faster, but I also know that it doesn't matter...

does it outbeat it? if so, why?

I'm getting a new computer for my son if you already don't know, and I want to know which processor is better for the game. Thanks.

Athlon is def the way to go, if you're going to use the computer as a gaming computer.

alright, but how much of a difference will it make from the p4 3 ghz?
and will the processor last long?? I just don't want it to get outdated, i want it to last for future games and programs

Well if you want it to last for future games and programs..Its not all on the processor, if you want to run good games long down the road its not just the processor that counts. You will need to buy a good video card for your computer then, also try to get a minimum of 1gb of ram...if not 2. As for the video card it all really depends on how much you want to spend..Are you buying the computer or building it?

Dev0115 said:
Well if you want it to last for future games and programs..Its not all on the processor, if you want to run good games long down the road its not just the processor that counts. You will need to buy a good video card for your computer then, also try to get a minimum of 1gb of ram...if not 2. As for the video card it all really depends on how much you want to spend..Are you buying the computer or building it?

yeah i know that, i'm building it and i'm probly going to get an nvidia 6200 and 1 gb of RAM but i just wanted to know if the processor will hold up to future games...

ok well just how much of a difference will the athlon 64 3200+ make from the P4 3.0 GHz for the sims 2?

thats pretty much all I want to know

joepic said:
ok well just how much of a difference will the athlon 64 3200+ make from the P4 3.0 GHz for the sims 2?

thats pretty much all I want to know

It wouldnt make that much of a difference. But if you dont want to get outdated anytime soon, i would go with the Intel. They wont be changing sockets anytime soon, only chipsets with the same socket. So all you have to do is buy the P4, get a nice top of the motherboard and you are set. I would advise to get the ASUS P5WD2-E it uses the 975x Express chipset, and it just came out recently. The price tag might scare you away, but it should last you a while. If not the 975x, then get the 955x from ASUS. Both are loaded with features that are very useful. Goodluck!

thanks so much...

heres the motherboard...i'm not too familar so i'll just give you the name:

ECS 945P-A I945P Chipset LGA775 1066FSB DDR2/667 SATA Dual 16X PCI-Express Platform W/7.1Audio,GbLAN,&USB2.0

hows that?
thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom