Nvidia 6800 = Ati #?

ok, well i will be using pci-e. but im kinda on a budget(im 16 and i only have money saved up from xmas&bday, but i start work in like a month). anyway, i was just thinking of getting teh 6800 b/c i basically have nothing on my system right now... onboard 32mb GeForce2. but i just got my opty 146(cab2e)! and i dont have any other parts adn currently only have about $250 to buy everything else. and yes, i know that that money wont take me far, but im skipping lunch and getting $20/week.
the only reason i got the opteron was cuz i heard that they are out of production and it was a pretty good price, $207 shipped @ tigerdirect. amyway, i wrote too much. sorry

Jamxx said:
I completely agree. That's an excellent statement 1337DuD3!

Why thank you! :D

As for what you should get. Well, there's a lot of things you have to plan for. One good thign however, is that you have the processor, so that's one thing you DON'T have to worry about! :D

As for what you should get, here's a list of things, and then from here we can suggest products that will best suit you and your budget. But before I go any further I would like to make one thing very clear...

Justin's Rule of Thumb said:
If you want a PC right now, you're going to search for lower priced products.

With that said. If you want a PC here very soon, this limits the budget quite a bit. I know this, it's what I do! If you want a good machine that you can show off and say, "Look n00bs, I got a 1ee7 m4chin3!" Then you'll want to save your money. Reason is, if you limit your budget, you limit your performace! PCs need performance, if you limit your budget, you limit your PC.

So, let's move on to the products!

• [1]First things first. The power supply.
  • With today's products getting faster and consuming less power, get a powersupply at roughly 450W or higher, this gives you room to add more thigns such as LEDs or fans later on, and still gives your hardware enough power to where it won't struggle.
    [2]Up next is the Hard Drive
  • The hard drive is the next single most important part of the PC and what it does, with the exception to the Processor (CPU). Hard drives are what stores your Operating System, your games, everything. Try to get somethgin that has a sufficient amount of cache and hard drive space, in your case since you're on a budget, yet want to squeeze out some amount of performance, I suggest an 80GB hard drive in Serial ATA connection.
    [3]Next would be the motherboard!
  • The motherboard is what makes everythign connect and function. You NEED this. So, if it's the one componet that links everythign together and makes everythign function, why settle for a crappy one? Just doesn't make sense! Get somethgin that is...
    [A]Reliable
    Has good features, such as 10/100/1000+ ethernet
    [C]Supports all of your products that you want to use.
    [*]With that said you should go with a dependable manufacturer. Go with Gigabyte, ASUS, or ABIT. If you want a specific product we can recommend one later.
    [4]Next is the RAM.
    [*]RAM is essential, the more the better. Try to get 1 Gig of RAM for starters then work your way up to 2GB. If you ever want to see a noticable change in your PC, RAM is the thing you use. Go with Corsair, Kingston, or OCZ for reliable and good performing RAM manufacturers
    [5]The video card.
    [*]We've been talking about this off and on in the past few posts. So, with that said, get the NVIDIA 7800GT, or the ATI equivilant; the ATI X1800XL. Both are great products and offer great performance. I recommend these with two thumbs up! :D

Well, that concludes my list of products, anyone can add or subtract from it. Hope you enjoy! ;)

well, i have had this "wishlist" set up on newegg for a while.

$108 - mobo. dfi infinity
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136164

$154(ar) - video card. 6800gs
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16814130271

$180 - RAM. 2 x 1028mb
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820221137

$60 - case.
(undecided)

this is only part of the list, but its the important stuff

ok well, first off, i know that this ram is expensive mostly b/c its ddr500. i chose it cuz i got an opteron and i need good ram to support my overclock.

um, i have an extra hdd here, so i dont need a new one yet.
i think ill just use the psu from the case for now.(remember, im on a budget)
and for a cd drive, ill just steal one from my current pc

well, thats all i need now to get things running, right?

Yuppers. As long as you have the following...

• Motherboard
  • CPU
  • Memory
  • Hard Drive
  • CD or DVD Drive
  • Case w/ PSU
  • Video Card

I think that's it. :D

Back
Top Bottom