DSL Problems

Pidge14

In Runtime
Ok, my problem is really strating to make me mad. My DSL cuts out all the freakin time. Usually you just pull the power cord from the router out for about ten seconds and plug it back it and BAM! it works. But lately its been doing it roughly every 15-30 minutes. And sometimes it doesn't work at all. And it says about no connectivity and stuff like that. We have everything possible filtered. What is wrong with this stupid DSL crap? :mad:

Contact your DSL provider and explain. Sure, they'll probably blame the problem on you, but it's worth a shot.

Yeah...that went RIGHT over my head. I have no clue what i'm doing when it comes to this stuff. Sorry.

Well the ethernet plug hooks directly into the motherboard which goes to this little black box that has "Speedstream" on it which leads to a BELKIN router.

The modem lan connection goes to the wan connection on the router. Then from any of the 4 ports the lan connection goes to the computer. It sounds like the router has not been programed. There is a selection for a time limit you can be idle or a keep alive. Select the keep alive. That should keep the connection from dropping out.

Also make sure that inside the router configuration page that it is set to go through a PPPo connection (DSL). You then have to supply the router with the username and password for the modem. I just hooked up a Belkin wireless router to a DSL connection this weekend, and this is the way I had to do it. To get to the router Web-based interface, open up IE (Internet Explorer) and in the address bar (where you usually type www.whatever.com) and type in 192.168.2.1 and you should see a Belkin page come up asking for a password. If you have never configured this before, it will be blank. Just hit ok, then proceed to administration and change the password to something you know. After that, check the connection settings, and make sure it is setup for a PPPo connection, and then it should ask you for your DSL username and password (this will be the email address for your DSL service as the username, and whatever password you use to check your email) Try that, and see if the connection stays up.

pctechmike said:
Also make sure that inside the router configuration page that it is set to go through a PPPo connection (DSL). You then have to supply the router with the username and password for the modem. I just hooked up a Belkin wireless router to a DSL connection this weekend, and this is the way I had to do it. To get to the router Web-based interface, open up IE (Internet Explorer) and in the address bar (where you usually type www.whatever.com) and type in 192.168.2.1 and you should see a Belkin page come up asking for a password. If you have never configured this before, it will be blank. Just hit ok, then proceed to administration and change the password to something you know. After that, check the connection settings, and make sure it is setup for a PPPo connection, and then it should ask you for your DSL username and password (this will be the email address for your DSL service as the username, and whatever password you use to check your email) Try that, and see if the connection stays up.

In his situation this is not what he needs to do. He has the connection but its dropping therefore we know the configuration is correct...if it wasnt then he wouldnt get online at all (30 minutes is to long to claim a bad setup in the router regarding ISP info, usualy they drop by the 2 minute mark if it wasnt configured properly...thats the typical time period you get for the DHCP ack process). Try bypassing the router temporarily. This is done my taking the wire out of the WAN port and plugging it into your network card on the computer. When this is done then unplug the power from your modem for 30 seconds then plug it back in. This will cause it to reset and sync with the network again. You should get a solid connection, if it drops then contact your DSL provider...if it doesnt then call your router manufacturer and get a firmware update sent your direction.

Back
Top Bottom