A 2nd Hard Drive with No More IDE Cables

Louis Stabile

Solid State Member
Hey. I have a fairly new HP computer and I wanted to put an extra HD in it. The problem is the Motherboard only has a spot for 1 IDE Cable (Which right now is connected to a CD Burner and a DVD Player. The computer did not come with a Floopy drive because I guess HP figured hardly anyone uses a Floopy drive anymore. But there is a spot for the Floopy Cable on the Motherboard. Is it possible to connect a floopy cable from the mobo to the HD? I have tried but it didnt work.

The Floopy cable is a tad bit smaller than the IDE cable.

Yeah uneed a cable that has to connector things..one for slave and one for master

Louis Stabile said:
Hey. I have a fairly new HP computer and I wanted to put an extra HD in it. The problem is the Motherboard only has a spot for 1 IDE Cable (Which right now is connected to a CD Burner and a DVD Player. The computer did not come with a Floopy drive because I guess HP figured hardly anyone uses a Floopy drive anymore. But there is a spot for the Floopy Cable on the Motherboard. Is it possible to connect a floopy cable from the mobo to the HD? I have tried but it didnt work.

The Floopy cable is a tad bit smaller than the IDE cable.

The entire motherboard only has a single IDE slot? Well, if it only has one slot and it's occupied with a hard drive (Primary Master) and a CD-ROM (Primary Slave), then you will need to purchase an IDE expansion card (goes into the PCI slot) to add additional hard drives to your system.

PROMISE ULTRA133TX2 PCI IDE Controller Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102027

No, you cannot use the floppy connector for a hard drive. Controller won't work.

Back
Top Bottom