Need help with upgrade options

to put ur comp under full load run a program called prime 95 and use the torture test, as for water cooling i just installed the thermal take big water se along with a vga block and i have to say its very very good and cheap! i wouldnt upgrade to 4 gigs as its not yet worth it maybe in a year or so but right now ude see little to no difference, btw did u turn the page file off when u installed those 2 gigs? if not then heres how ==> right click my computer - properties - advanced - performance settings - advanced tab - click change where it says virtual memory then select the box that says no paging file, i dont know if u should upgrade your cpu or your vid card can u please list your specs

That's what I said... Look at my post more carefully. I said it wouldn't budge over 40 Celsius DURING Prime95 with iTunes, AIM, and Firefox open at the same time.

Jamxx said:
Honestly, with as much as you want to do, you should build a new system. Here's why: You're thinking about Opterons. With Opterons, you'll have to buy a new motherboard. With a new motherboard, you'll want a new case (you pretty much have to have a new one). With 4 hard drives, you're going to want a bigger power supply. You're looking to upgrade the video card. Well... it would look better with a new motherboard :D. And, you're going to need a better power supply to power it anyway.

I wouldn't go into water cooling. I just got my new cooler, and it is amazing! I have it almost on full blast, and my CPU (with iTunes, AIM, and Firefox) is at 28 Celsius, during Prime95 (with AIM, iTunes, and Firefox) wouldn't seem to hit 40 Celsius (didn't hit 39 Celsius but I'm sure it would, I only left it going for about 10 minutes to see, but usually CPU's will heat up pretty much to their maximum in that time). You're still going to need a few case fans, and you can always get a fan speed controller or silent fans (120mm are the best, because they run at a lower RPM) to reduce noise.

That's my 2 cents. :D Hope it helps.

Yes... but I'll need a lot more than 2 cents to get started with a new PC :p

Thanks again, proble resolved. At most I'll just get a memory upgrade, and perhaps a new video card.

Back
Top Bottom