Need help with upgrade options

G9

Daemon Poster
I'm looking to expand my current memory of 2 GB to 4 GB... do you recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145486

Additionally, I'm looking to install Water cooling into my computer, and I currently have nothing in mind... check out this page to make recommendations: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&ATTR7=&ATTR8=&ATTR9=&ATTR10=&ATTR11=&ATTR12=

Here is a picture of my computer. Please answer the questions as stated in the image:
computer6gc.gif

I would also like to know if getting and installing new processors are worth the effort, and how I would go about doing it.

Right, water cooling, I havent done it before, but from what I know, you have your radiator...and you just attach it all with metal blocks to the places you want it, and off you go...you still need a fan to cool the water though.

Video card - is that an AGP card? Looks like quite an old system..anyhow, just buy another card with two outputs on if your looking for multiple monitors...

hard drive, yes you could, but you would have to buy Y splitters...does the mobo have Serial ATA and IDE or just IDE? - If its just IDE then you can have 2 at the max - 3 if you surrender one of your cd-drives.

No affence but this doesnt seem right, you want a new processor - 4 more HDD's, a water cooling kit, and more RAM, thats a new system almost..ide start one from scratch. That does look like an old system though, what are the specs?

Alright, any water cooling models you'd like to suggest?

The video card is an ATI FireGL 256 MB.

Y splitters...? I believe it's Serial ATA, but I can't be sure... I'll need to know what's the difference between ATA and IDE. With ATA, how many HD's can be supported?

Yes, you got that right... nothing in my plans seem sensible, mainly due to the fact that I'm a newbie when it comes to computer construction, and have never built a computer from scratch before. So basically, it's either what I'm planning here or buying an entirely new system...

...the current one you're looking at is an Alienware MJ-12 7550i from last summer.
Dual 3.4ghz Xeon Processors
2 GB RAM
400 GB 7200 RPM Harddrive (No RAM)
Dual layer CD/DVD drive
Burn drive
ATI FireGL 256 MB video

pinky4life623 said:
nice comp
but the video card is PCI-E so look for that kinda card
if u wanna spend alot get a 7800GTX
Thank you, and thanks for your suggestion.

-Yes that corsair XMS ram is very good.
-Don't know that much about watercooling, but I'd keep the system fan (120mm I gues?) in the back, because even with watercooling u will most likely cool only the vid card and the cpus. Then when u have that fan in the back (u can probably make it run a little slower if u want to reduce the sound) the warm air will be pulled out of the computer (hdds, ram etc also produce heat)
-Yes, those are the memory slots.
- About the vid card, u just pull out the old one and put the new one in. Then u have to install the drivers for the new one and then it's ready.
- And I don't see a point in getting new cpus. The Xeon are very very good cpus, though not so great for gaming because they are designed for servers.

Thanks for the tips, I'm assuming RAM is merely plug and play?

As for now, I'm not sure if I want to go into water cooling. Should I have had more experience with pc building before tackling this? Is it really that difficult?

What graphics card would you suggest to replace the FireGL? I'm a semi-active gamer, but I haven't gotten down to video editing... the closest to visual design I've gotten so far is developing templates and making animations, games, and interfaces in Macromedia Flash. Sometimes I input Fraps-recorded videos, but that's about it.

AMD Opterons were the target of replacement, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to go through the trouble of all that moving around...

...but when it comes down to it, I'm mainly concerned about the harddrives. I want four harddrives running at the same time. Space-wise, I know it's possible. But I'm not sure if the motherboard can take it.

Honestly, with as much as you want to do, you should build a new system. Here's why: You're thinking about Opterons. With Opterons, you'll have to buy a new motherboard. With a new motherboard, you'll want a new case (you pretty much have to have a new one). With 4 hard drives, you're going to want a bigger power supply. You're looking to upgrade the video card. Well... it would look better with a new motherboard :D. And, you're going to need a better power supply to power it anyway.

I wouldn't go into water cooling. I just got my new cooler, and it is amazing! I have it almost on full blast, and my CPU (with iTunes, AIM, and Firefox) is at 28 Celsius, during Prime95 (with AIM, iTunes, and Firefox) wouldn't seem to hit 40 Celsius (didn't hit 39 Celsius but I'm sure it would, I only left it going for about 10 minutes to see, but usually CPU's will heat up pretty much to their maximum in that time). You're still going to need a few case fans, and you can always get a fan speed controller or silent fans (120mm are the best, because they run at a lower RPM) to reduce noise.

That's my 2 cents. :D Hope it helps.

i agree Jammx but watercooling is very effective
and AIM iTunes and FireFox..? thats not gaming or ne huge prgrams
try and put ur comp under a full load and see the temos then

Back
Top Bottom