my own network?

dude_se

Proper Legend
i have my main pc with a wireless router and my old pc with a usb network adapter that connects to it. i can share internet, files, etc... i was wondering if theres anyway i could login from my old pc to my new pc. eg: the windows login box comes up on startup and i enter the username and password of a user off this new pc and it would log onto it. is that possible?

You can't exactly do that(well you could but lets not get in to that)...but what you can do is use remote desktop..

If the old pc is running XP, go to start, all programs, accessories, communications, remote desktop and use Remote Desktop.

It you are running 98 or newer go to this link...http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx
(The Download Link is on the right of that page) and you can use that.

If you need help with remote desktop ill try to help. Good luck.

sorry for the late reply... ive tried remote desktop but cant seem to get it working.

Oh Im sorry I read your Sig wrong. You have Windows XP home...with home edition you can only USE remote desktop, you cant connect to a xp home computer...Maybe try searching google for a remote desktop client to use. Im sure there must be one out there that will do it.

i would like to have it so when the computers boot up they go straight to the ctrl + alt + del screne and you enter your name and password but you can use your username on each of the computers, bit like an office.

edit: cant get on remote desktop on both pcs anyway, says theres not a terminal server :confused:

theres a program out there thats called VNC. It allows you to run the remote desktop free, but if you want to trransfer files between the computers, youll have to pay. Heres a link - http://www.realvnc.com/ , id check them out, the program might be what youre looking for.

ok ill try it but is kind of what im looking for but would prefer what i said above

ok i have that program above. could you please tell me how to use it. cant seem to get it working. remember i have a usb network adapter on my old pc and i have a wireless router on this (my new) pc.

ok i got the program working. it is very slow and can only view my old pc from my new one. i wanted each computer to logon to a network like you get in businesses but guess you need a server for that. i just thought there would be some free way of creating a simple network like that

Back
Top Bottom