PS2 HDD Slaved?

Insunna

In Runtime
Every time i look for forums to post something like this on, i can't seem to find a good one. So since you guys are awsome you get my question.

A long while ago (Before i discovered PC games /pwn console) i had bought FFXI for the playstation 2. That game didn't last long with me, and i stopped playing it. I'm done with console games.

I sit here every night lookin how close my 80GB HD is to being full in my PC; then think i wish i could use that 40GB HD in the PS2.. Just a waste of money to sit unused. So my question is.. What would i need to be able to Slave; Partition; what ever so that i can use my PS2 HD with my computer? I don't care about the Data on it now, im sure i'll have to format it. Just what will i need; cables; pins; plugs; software.. What have it?

Also, if anyone knows another forum that would be good for Tech type questions for gamers I'd love a link.. Thanks!!!

To be honest I thought they were just standard IDE drives, is it the add on then? The black box?

Thats what i thought to, but i don't know how to tell. I've never messed much with any HDD's so i don't know about IDE/SATA/RAID or how to tell the differenece.. I'm sure i can figure it out just need to know the things i need to get it done. I don't want to go wasting more money for something that may not need to be bought, nor messing anything up.

What do you mean by add on, and black box?

It's the HD that goes in the back of the old style PS2's; it's the same as any other HD im just not sure about the connectors i need. Still lost on black box.

Is this all i would need to get this slaved? Other end of the IDE cable would connect to..?

Don't want to take tower apart untill needed.

Yes. You can just take the HDD from the PS2 and put it straight into your PC. It's a HDD. The PS2 just formats it differently. But, it's just a standard IDE hard drive. Nothign special!

So after i slave the drive.. I'll have to reformat it... I've never done this either, will it do this automaticly, or will i have to run through some prompts?

You can do it in Windows. Just go to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Maangement>Right click on the disk, choose format. Hit OK. :)

Okay, ran into a problem.. I took computer down to clean it out with a air can.. Got it all purdy. While i was at it i was lookin to see what i needed, and how the inside was set up.. Seems my current HD isn't running on IDE cables but something else.. (Pics soon to come) Like i said, ive never messed with a HD so this is news to me.

I'm runnin on a Dell Dimension 5100. If anyone knows off the top of their head what they use.. I'll be back in a moment to upload pics.

100_0193.jpg

100_0192.jpg

100_0191.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not a photographer.. So some of these aren't perfect.. You work with what lighting ya got. This is 3 different images of the cables used on to connect my current HD.. What type of cables are these?

100_0197.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a picture of the ports on the Playstation 2 HD i got from buying FFXI... This is an IDE port right?

100_0189.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What is the white cable in the middle for.. It says Foxconn 34 on the cable.. But it's only hooked to the mobo; what could i hook up via this cable?

I think thats about all my questions.. Sorry if images turn out to big.

Back
Top Bottom