Upgrading my computer

Pidge14

In Runtime
In my computer i already have a dvd/cd drive. But i want to put another one in just to play cds or just to play games...can i buy a normal cd-rom drive or do i have to buy a more of a complicated drive that supports cd-rw or what?

More questions will be asked as i figure out what else needs to be upgraded.
Thanks for all the help.
Pidge

If you have a dvd/cd drive, then you dont need the other one to play games. You can play games on the dvd/cd drive. Did you phrase your question wrong?

Yes, sorry i did pharse my question wrong. Ok, like with my computer right now, i ran into a problem with only having one cd/dvd drive. I needed to burn a cd while i was listening to a cd that i did not burn to the library on my computer. I felt like i did not need to burn that cd to my library. So i had to take a the cd i was listening to out to burn a cd. So my question is....can i get a normal cd-rom drive that would just be used to play cds and games without it having the special features of burning capabilites? I just need a cheap second drive to play games or a cd while using the other drive to burn stuff. I just want a second drive so i can either play a game or play a cd while also burning a cd or something else in my other drive. If this is still confusing i'm sorry.

Second question.
Can you buy extension cords for periphials. Like keyboards. I found out that where i set my keyboard...the cord that connects to the back of the computer is too short.

Thanks for taking time to read my very confusing posts. Lol.
Pidge

Yes, you can purchase just a plain CD ROM to play music or games with while you're using the other to burn. The reality of it is, although it is ok to do this, you're computer is working decently hard to burn a CD, which takes up resources and processing times, so, for instance, if you're playing a game, while burning a CD, you will either notice lag in the game, or get errors in your burning. I wouldn't recommend doing it this way. If your computer is fast enough, and doesn't have many resources being used, it shouldn't take more than 2 minutes tops to burn a CD. DVD- longer.

Yes, you can get what is called a PS/2 extension, they come in 6ft, and will run you about $6 US.

Ok, thanks.
Next question or two.

1) Why do some people have more than one drive if it can slow down programs?
2)If i bought a plain cd-rom drive, would it be faster at running games, cds, and so on than a dvd/cd burner combo or does it just matter with the drive?

Fans
1)Which is better: a fan with a faster RPM or a one with a slower RPM? I know one with a faster RPM can move more air faster, but does that mean it can also produce more heat?

OK, well, alot of people have two cd drives because alot of people copy from one disc straight to another, and some because they burn more than one thing at a time, ive heard some newer games coming out in the future will need two drives, as two discs need to be played at the same time - yeah, annoying hey. Some people might have them just incase one breaks - hey some people might have them just the look! Im sure people have their reasons..

2. Depends on the speed of the drives thats all, a DVD burned would usually be best for games I think because they are the fastest, for burning discs lol..

3. Uuumm..depends, for the CPU a smaller fan is the best because more heat is produced, case fans should be really big, for good outtake and intake, but the smaller they get, the louder they get...

Well...the RPM. I was looking at an 80 mm fan for the top of my case. I know you can speed the fans up. But when i look for fans it shows the rpms. Does one with a higher rpm produce more heat?

rpm stand for rounds per minute...The one that has more rpm is actually better..And no it wont produce any more heat..It might prouduce some but the increase in rpm will cancel it out..

Doesn't rpm's actually stand for revolutions per minute? Just wondering.

For a fan on top of my case, how fast of a fan should i need?

Also, how do i tell how fast the stock fans run at inside my case?

Back
Top Bottom