problems with internet

pike8

In Runtime
i have really big problems since last night. first i was getting some weird messages, so a friend suggested me to install avast. i ran the checks with avast and it really found some viruses which i removed. but now i can't connect to msn, and can't open certain sites. i uninstalled avast, but i still got the same problems.
can someone help me?

i have microsoft antispyware, but i have it for few months and it never caused me any problem. however, i tried closing it too, but it didn't help.

now i tried to run once again msn troubleshooter, and it said i have invalid ip adress. wtf?!?

and one more question, can i delete pagefile.sys, cause avast says it's infected too

Again, do you have firewall? Have you restarted? Restarted your modem just in case? If avast says it's infected, it probably is.

yes, but i disabled firewall, and it still doesn't work.

and will i have problems if i delete pagefile.sys, can system create a new one, or ...?

what do you mean by restart modem, i unplugged it from electricity and computer, and plugged it again.

pike8 said:
yes, but i disabled firewall, and it still doesn't work.

and will i have problems if i delete pagefile.sys, can system create a new one, or ...?

what do you mean by restart modem, i unplugged it from electricity and computer, and plugged it again.

Avast removed some infected files that may have been needed to get to the Internet. Try this:
Start>Run: type "CMD" without quotes, hit enter
A DOS screen will come up. Nevermind the text on it. Type "ping www.google.com" without quotes- and notice the space. If you get replies from there, you have a connection, and your issue is browser related. We can try more after you do this.

NOTE: Do NOT Delete pagefile.sys

you can't delete pagefile.sys, it's constantly in use...

what you can do is

right click on my computer, select properties.
go to the advanced tab,
in the performance section select settings,
click the advanced tab,
in the virtual memory section click the button marked change...

in the section marked Paging file size for selected drives select the radio option marked no paging file.

press OK, and OK in all the other windows...

now restart...

the pagefile.sys file will be gone... but your system will probably run like a three legged dog

now follow the steps as above but turn paging back on
then restart again.

@pctechmike:
i've tried these and i got reply, so i guess i shoud reinstall the browser now.

@root:
i've been thinking about it myself, logically if i disable paging file, everything from it should disappear, together with viruses, and then i could reenable it, and it should be fine.

thanks everyone for advices.

so you tried pinging www.google.com

what if you try pinging
66.102.9.104 (the IP address for google).

if you don't get a reply from pinging www.google.com but do get a reply from the IP address then it is likely that you have a DNS server problem..
this could be caused by some spyware, (some spyware programs sit in between the DNS server and the browser redirecting you to their (ad sponsored spyware loaded) search sites if their DNS can't find a site.

Back
Top Bottom