very strange sound problem

MkRacer220

Beta member
The problem: the volume slider down in the right hand corner on the task bar will not stay where I put it. I click on where I want the slider/volume to be, i'll hear the typical beep over the speakers, but then the slider/volume slides back down to zero. I check all the settings through the control panel and it is all the same.

I have the updated drivers from the MB site (which has been uninstalled and installed numerous times). I'm running a brand new clean install of XP pro with sp2. Now the really weird part: if I let the computer sit for a while, the slider/volume will eventually work like normal. BUt as soon as I restart, the volume will be messed up again. This will be going into my car so the volume HAS to work right away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have searched for about 2 days and have not found anything.

Ensure that you have enabled onboard sound in the BIOS. (Hit DEL key on POST and look around for the audio settings). Go to sound settings in control panel and try to increase the volume in there. Make sure nothing is muted and select the correct speakers and audio device. Also make sure speaker volume is set to the required level.

If that doesn't help, have you tried installing all your Motherboard drivers at once? What is the make and model of your motherboard. You could try just sticking with the drivers that came with your motherboard or try updating the BIOS of the motherboard to a newer version. Just make sure you know what you are doing with regards to that and check the manufacturer's web-site for the update and instructions.

Thanks for the repky. The only setting I could find in bios was an AC97 audio controller with the options to turn it off or auto. The board I am using is a MSI PM8M-V.

Nothing is muted and I tried installing all of the MB drivers at once, but that didn't help.

carputer....runs off of a dif psu and ties in with factory stereo. mp3car.com

Update: got a new MB cause MSI told me it was a faulty chipset, but the same problem has occured. What else would cause the sound to be screwed up?

The simplest things will get you sometimes:D
I wouldn't have thought of that, or even asking if the keypad had a volume control!

Back
Top Bottom