Wireless problem

JO20

Beta member
I have a problem that I cant find anywere. I have a computer down stairs thats hooked into the internet and has a D-link wireless router. I have a computer upstairs that has a belkin wireless card. The computer up stairs has a GOOD signal strength and appers to be online. The problem is that its not. Witch is a pretty solid problem. It can receve packets but it cant send them. I have no ideal what the problem is i have tryed everything i can think of. Thats why i am here. The weird thing is that it did work for a while, like a month. Then it just stoped working. Thats all i got for ya. Please help.

i no what u mean, i had the same problem and with a D-Link router,
Personly i don't really like them, are you useing a Program that came with the router to run it or windows?

So, you do have a valid IP address? Have you tried power cycling the router? Have you tried a different wireless card? What type of card is it? (USB, PCI?).

Try this. First power cycle the router (unplug power for 10 seconds). After that click start then run. in the Run box type in "CMD" and click ok. This will open up DOS prompt. At the prompt type in "ipconfig". Your ip address should start with 192.168.x.x. If its anything else type "ipconfig /release" which will make your ip address 0.0.0.0 which Then you type in "ipconfig /renew" and it will update off the router. Now if you have a 192.168.x.x address type "ping <default gateway address>". The Default gateway address can be obtained from typing in "ipconfig". This will test your communication with the router. If you get 4 replies then type in "ping yahoo.com" which will test your connection to yahoo.com. If you get 4 replies you are in business, if not then type in "ping 4.2.2.2". If you now get replies from "ping 4.2.2.2" then you need to repair your winsock file, if you dont get replies then your router is blocking you and you should contact your router manufacturer. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom