raid question

ASSEMBLER

In Runtime
i am thinking of setting up a raid array 1, and is i understand it i will use 2 drives exactly the same and this will run by making a mirror image on both drives so if one drive fails i will still have a o/s to work on.but if a drive fails i have to reinstall a clean windows o/s to setup raid again when i install a new drive.i cant quite see the point of this as if you backup everything as i do to a small file server i have built for backups or if you backup with dvd disc just the same.if my single drive fails i still have to install windows as this would take just as long, so what is the point of raid.i could understand it if you could recover raid without having to reinstall windows.is there a way of recovering raid without having to do this.

the whole point of raid is to increase speed like for instance most 10,000 rpm hdds only go up to i beleive about 1xx gigs not sure but a raid u can have two 500 gigs and have clost to 10,000rpms if not more and still have lots of memory.

While on the topic i got a quick question....are SATA2 7200rpm drives fast? I dont want to spend money on 10 000rpm drives because its double the price for less storage. and putting 2 drives in RAID 0 is kinda pricy too... i cant find too many smaller sized drives in sata2.

pctechmike said:
You shouldn't have to reinstall if one fails, but you will have to rebuild the RAID Array.

rebiulding the array will this just mirror the image back onto the new drive.roughly how long will it take to get your system back to the original raid once a new drive is installed and how is this procedure done.cheers

ps i am not recieving any e-mails for these replys anyone know why never mind one just came through lol

Back
Top Bottom