starting an isp?

keith2045

Beta member
I have a project for school where we have to start an isp. I found some good resources on google for creating a dail up isp, but cant find anything for a high speed isp. So my question is, if someone wanted to start an high speed isp, what kind of connection would they get to connect to the net? An OC-?? line?

Keith

Cheapest and easiest way is to co-located your ISP, in other words find an ISP that is willing to rent you server space and bandwidth for a fixed monthly fee, this saves on leasting line costs etc.

If your intent on running your own ISP, you'll need to decide on the size of the area you would like your ISP to serve, broadband speeds, services offered, start up budget and so much more. After all that you'll have a better idea on which least line is required.

If you would like anymore information just ask away ;)

BullDog(UK)

Probably a couple of T1 lines, depending on the size of your new " ISP ".
Just for perspective Microsoft, I think has 32 T1 lines.

i wouldnt go with a T1, they cost to much when you can find a cable provider that will provide speeds faster at 1/4 the price (perfect for dial up). Also, It doesnt make sence for microsoft to have 32 t1 lines, 32 t1 lines would run an average of $500 a line which is about $16,000 a month and a total of ~49mbps. One T3 line would run about $10,000 a month and runs at 45mbps. It would not make sence to have 32 T1's, if anything they probably have an OCxx line. Besides, with all the people microsoft bring internet too they would need something faster then 32 t1's.

shouup said:
i wouldnt go with a T1, they cost to much when you can find a cable provider that will provide speeds faster at 1/4 the price (perfect for dial up). Also, It doesnt make sence for microsoft to have 32 t1 lines, 32 t1 lines would run an average of $500 a line which is about $16,000 a month and a total of ~49mbps. One T3 line would run about $10,000 a month and runs at 45mbps. It would not make sence to have 32 T1's, if anything they probably have an OCxx line. Besides, with all the people microsoft bring internet too they would need something faster then 32 t1's.
i think he is refering to the workers internet at there workstation not there servers!

recon 16 said:
i think he is refering to the workers internet at there workstation not there servers!

We were discussing starting an ISP, not a workstation connection...and even if we were discussing work station computers they still would have a faster network then that.

Ok i think i got the connection, but what kind of device do i need to connect my customers to my network? I will be running coaxial cables to the homes, but how do i connect it to my network? I'm guessing that it would kinda be like a cable modem, but supports more than 1 user?

Keith

keith2045 said:
Ok i think i got the connection, but what kind of device do i need to connect my customers to my network? I will be running coaxial cables to the homes, but how do i connect it to my network? I'm guessing that it would kinda be like a cable modem, but supports more than 1 user?

Keith

You dont have near the money to invest in the equipment you need to start a cable modem service. I would just do a dial-up type service, much easier to do.

Back
Top Bottom