Mixing brands?

Drunkenseagul

Solid State Member
iv got one 7800GT in my system right now but my motherboard is built for two of the babys and i noticed the price on an XFX one dropped pretty low so i was thinkin maybe its time to get the second one but my first card is an MSI... obviously my question is can i put an MSI card in SLi with an XFX card or mix any other brand cards for that matter?

now wait for some more ppl to answer, but im pretty sure the new nvidia drivers allowed two different brands to be used as long as they were the same card (I.E- 7800gt) and not a 7800gt and a 7800gtx

2 different brands can be used except for the gay BFG ones I believe. The BFG website claims u can only use 2 of theirs...but I haven't personally tried mixing with BFG; but im 99% sure u can mix the other brands.

The new Nvidia Forceware drivers allow the mixing of multi-vendor graphics card to be used as long as they are using the same chipsets (ie, 7800GT's, 7800GTX's, etc)

alright thanks everybody i might think about picking up that XFX card sometime soon now, yes it is also a gt7800.

Yes, that is good. Here's proof too just in case if you are skeptic about the mixed manufacturered video cards:

ForceWare Release 80
Version: 81.98
Release Date: February 7, 2006
WHQL Certified

Release Highlights:

WHQL Certified
Adds support for GeForce 7800 GS AGP
Application compatibility fixes. For a full list of fixed and known issues please view the Release Notes.
Mixed vendor support for NVIDIA SLI.
TV-Out/HD-out support for NVIDIA SLI.
Added support for VSync on Direct3D games when running NVIDIA SLI.
Performance enhancements for dual-core CPUs.
PureVideo high definition MPEG-2 de-interlacing support.
Usability enhancements when connecting to an HDTV.
Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0c and OpenGL® 2.0 support

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html

I thought I paste it here in case you don't want to go online to Nvidia's website and download the drivers just yet.

Thanks alot TRD, thats what i needed right there to be able to buy the card without worrying... it will be a bit before i can afford it though, just bought new a snowboard jacket and pants.

Back
Top Bottom