ways to increase signal strength?

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
I have a dlink dwl-g520 pci adapter thinger. Its near the floor in the back of a desk with a lot of wires. Theres not too much room back there. My signal strength most of the time was 2 bars. I as wondering if I can get the signal strength to be more than 3 bars...

You can "rig" it or put the computer in a different location. Rigging it? Metal co-hanger, copper wire- all could boost it a little. Probably not enough to notice a difference. If you are able to get ahold of a USB wireless adapter, try it. I think you'll find the signal levels much more to your liking.....

Try this:

Get two pieces of electrical wire, and strip the ends of both, attach ends of both wires, one to end of antenna, and one to PCI slot, (on actual antena) - make sure you attach them with electrical tape, then attach them to the wall in an upwards direction, attach them to the wall with electrical tape, power up and see if they are better

I don't know. I moved the router and modem near the TV which is a lot closer than where it originally was. My signal strength goes to 5/5 bars.

That's the biggest problem with PCI Wireless cards. Direct line of site is always the best, or the closer you can get the better.

can u run cables? i find cables to be ok because i just ran some through the air condtioning vents and some through the walls thats the best bet but if u want cant u get like faster modem cards or something?

Its fine now, i have a very good signal strength and connection. I moved the router & modem closer, a lot closer.

If the antenna comes off you can get other antennas to hook up to it. Some come with a short cable and a desktop or wall mount antenna on the end. Problem here is to make sure on the other end you have the correct connector to fit your card. If you have to move the router closer to the computer it defeats having wireless in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom