Disk Defragmenter question

JLKRMetallica

Solid State Member
What exactly is Disk Defrag for windows XP..what is its purpse? Does it harm anything?

Any info on this program would be appreciated!

Thanks alot!!!!

When you defrag the computer. It means that your hard drive, takes files, and moves them; organizes them, for easier file searching, Faster load times for games, and large programs. I suggest do it once a week.

Ok, Defragment: To reorganize the disk by putting files into contiguous order. Because the operating system stores new data in whatever free space is available, data files become spread out across the disk as they are updated. Large files may be broken into thousands of fragments, causing the read/write head to move back and forth numerous extra times to read the data. A "defragger" or "optimizer program" rewrites all the files and stores them in adjacent sectors.

Windows comes with the DEFRAG.EXE utility, which can be activated by the Run dialog from the Start menu. Other popular defraggers such as Executive Software's Diskeeper, offer enhanced capabilities.

Some users are fanatical about defragging their disks on a regular basis. Others rarely do it, if ever. After defragmenting, performance increases are most noticeable on very large databases that had been heavily fragmented. Because today's computers are so fast, users may not notice any increase in speed with routine applications such as word processing and spreadsheets, especially if the files are small.

Nevertheless, defragmenting disks regularly is good practice because it reduces wear and tear on the drive mechanism. In addition, should the hard disk ever crash and you did not back up important files, data recovery experts will tell you that a defragged disk is much easier to restore.

Well, chaos, it depends. It depends on what kind of stuff you have on your hd, what files, how big, etc.

I hope this helps. :D

Just do it. I do it once a DAY. It finishes in about a minute. I don't think it really does anything though.

If its a bother to do it manually, set a third party tool to run in the background which will check frag levels daily and defrag whenever needed. Its good to run disk cleanup and defrag regularly, keep the drive clean and fast rather than when the drive runs out of space or is badly cluttered, as then it will only take more time and trouble.

Back
Top Bottom