Unsure of which Linux Distribution to use..

joxley1990

Golden Master
Ok, I just need a lite, permanant operating system I can use in an old machine, I dont want to put windows on it, so I wanna go with linux.

Which distro will be best? And also will it become available on the network, and will it be able to share files??

Thanks

James

Ubuntu, thats all I use and it is the best OS ever! They have awsome support forums and your questions get answered very fast!

I prefer Slackware for developement and Fedora Core (whatever number they're at now) for regular use.

kinda off subject, but whats the advantage of using linux? like besides it using less resourses?

badninja3 said:
kinda off subject, but whats the advantage of using linux? like besides it using less resourses?

100 times more features than MAC or Windows, easier to run on older computers, YOU define your computer, and YOU install everything. It uses your computer to its fullest potential, and it's literally impossible to find a linux virus. It took 10 years for one to come out.

DEBIAN, DEBIAN, DEBIAN. Its way better than all the other distos!!! Its got way more packages than all the rest and is the most stable.

badninja3 said:

It's... Free? :) Not only the OS is free, but all the software is too. Developement and all that good stuff. I would probably have about $4000 of software if I were using Windows.

I have used ubuntu, fedora red hat, and madranke, and, from my perspective, ubuntu is the best for the beginner, fedora for the intermediate, and mandrake for later on. I would start with ubuntu.

Back
Top Bottom