Amd 64 or Turion 64 - for gaming

zhoro

Solid State Member
I am thinking of buying a 64 bit laptop that is good for gaming.

I came down to Athlon 64 and Turion 64. I have read a lot and the advantage Turion has is on battery life - but that is not a concern for me.

I care about gaming performance. (The laptop will have 128 Video Card with 1 GB RAM no matter ATHLON 64 or TURION 64). Which processor will give me better gaming performance if the RAM, VIDEO, CPU SPEED are the same.

I ask because i know from experience that Pentium M gives less game performance than P4.

Does anyone have experience and advice they can share with me?

thanks

I guess Core Duo and Pentium M is out of the question because you want 64-bit and these CPU's aren't. Core Duo is dual core mobile CPU which is pretty nice. Turion 64 CPU was designed mainly for extending battery life but I believe the Athlon 64 will give the laptop the raw power it needs to power a lot of games. So yeah, if battery isn't important to you, get an Athlon 64 CPU in there.

Have you considered dual core? Dual core mobile processing shows promising results in their benchmarks. Faster at multitasking and encoding so I would assume games would be good for it too. Especially when more games are optimized for dual core. Second generation laptop dual cores are scheduled to run on 64-bit.

Actually, here's a quote I found from Maximum PC regarding dual cores in laptops: "Laptops with dual-core processors complete digital media work and multiple tasks significantly faster than single-core systems." I thought I rub it in.

I would go with a AMD 64 for the gaming side. Pent-M's are good little work horses, you can compare the 745 1.8 P-M to a 3.0 P4. But I would only use them for a general laptop. Unless you have a geforce go 6600 and up, 7200 HD, and max ram. those wimpy 4200 HD suck, I replaced the one in my gateway with the 7200 HD for laptop. But it does play doom3 and half-life 2 very well for being underpowered.

Guys, thanks a lot, i am determined to get AMD 64 ATHLON but because my budget is small i need some more advice.

Out of the following video cards which would you recommend. My games are HALF LIFE 1/2, CS, Empire Erth 2, AOE 3, Cossacks Napoleonic Wars, Doom 3.

128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)

64 MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600

128MB ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Graphics UMA VRAM

128 MB SiS M741

128 MB ATI Radeon 9600

64MB NVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go

These are the video cards for laptops with Amd Athlon 64 - 3200/3400 Mgh or Turion 1.6/1.8 Mgh with 1 GB of ram - THAT IS WHAT I CAN AFFORD IN MY BUDGET.

Please give suggestions and advices.

Thanks

The Radeon 9600 is probably your best choice, though none of those are really good. However, if you want to play the game longer than 25 minutes... Get the Turion 64. Also, if you want your laptop to not burst into a fireball, then get the Turion 64.

I've heard bad stories about Athlon 64's in laptops... I really don't recommend it. And it will eat up your battery life like a sumo-wrestler, and with that dedicated graphics card, it will be a very short battery life.

why only 64-bit? I dont understand why people are still wanting only 64-bit. If Microsoft is smart, Vista will have a 64-bit and 32-bit version, the latter is probably more popular. So there really is no reason for not getting a core duo or core solo. It will take a long time for everything to migrate to 64-bit. Just my $0.02.

Dual Core sounds fantastic, but it is way over my budget. I can afford no more than $1100 + s/h. And even on ebay they are too expesive for me - probably because they are better.

I am doomed an i not :).

Back
Top Bottom