Sound Card Vs. Onboard

I've heard the Big Typhoon is incredibly difficult to install, and I don't want to mess with it.

Beware the OCZ ram... OCZ dosent "do" refunds... so forget about after-rebate price, you arent going to get any money sent back.

Actually, you send that rebate to Newegg, so it goes through them. And, come on, they can't advertise something they can't do.

Jamxx said:
Hey, I have a quick, opinionated question.

I have a pretty old Sound Blaster Live! Value 24 bit sound card that I'm not using right now. I'm currently using onboard audio on my main computer. Now, do you think it would be better to use the sound card, or stick with what I have? I don't know if I'll see an improvement or not, since it is so old. It is from about 3-4 years ago, and came in a Dell 4400 Dimension (now the closet computer, for specs).

Well what are you going to be using your computer for? If its for gaming dont bother with a sound card, if your doing any kind of audio editing or anything like that defently go with a sound card.

Best sound is a combonation of a good soundcard and good speakers. One of the main things to look at is THD. Most soundcards and speakers will give a 10% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) Now if you have a really kick ass soundcard and $20 speakers its still going to sound like crap. And vis versa. Now the blaster live is pretty old even the audugy 2 are pretty old as well. The XFI's are really nice. But they cost a little much.

I think onboard is worse than any, and can slow your PC down too.

I have a Sound Blaster Live too, and it still works fine with my speakers. It supports 3.1 surround by the way. I use it on 2.1 speakers though.

I'd upgrade to a better sound card if I thought the quality of music was going to be any better.

I know X-FI's sound good because of the output Sound to Noise ratio, and also the surroudn setting for standard headphones. That sounds impressive.

I might try and get hold of some Logitech (z5500's or something) ones if I got a new sound card. At the moment I'm using a Creative 2.1 Inspire set. There alright, and bass is quite good, but they don't really blow me away. But they can be powerful in some music. For instance, trance, etc.

Back
Top Bottom