Compaq Laptop

FatMan1

Baseband Member
I'm thinking about ordering this one:

AMD Turion(TM) 64 ML-34 (1.8GHz/1MB L2 Cache)
128MB ATI RADEON(R) XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory(TM)
1.0GB DDR SDRAM (1x1024MB)
120 GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive
DVD+/-RW/R & CD-RW Combo w/Double Layer Support

Mainly this lap top is going to be used for research, web surfing, and maybe a little gaming.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether I should get the 80 gig 5000 rpm HD or stick with this larger yet slower HD.

What would you recommend?

FatMan said:
Mainly this lap top is going to be used for research, web surfing, and maybe a little gaming.

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether I should get the 80 gig 5000 rpm HD or stick with this larger yet slower HD.

What would you recommend?

since you didn't mention anything about wanting to store a ton of stuff the hard drive (photos, movies, music, etc),,,i would say go with the faster hard drive, and 80 GB is still pretty big...i only have a 40 GB drive, and it's 86 percent free with lots of photos, some music, and some short video clips on it. go even faster if you can,,,maybe a 7200 rpm sata drive if available.

Ah... it depends. How fast is that 120gb? 4200rpms? It depends. 6 years ago, one man said, "I don't foresee anyone ever needing more than 70gbs". What's the largest hd out there? 500gb? There are external terabyte drives out there too. Yeha, space is always needed. 80gb, over time, will fill up. If you want to keep this labtop for a while and not have to buy an external drive to help keep your files around, I would go for the bigger hard drive. Sure, the 80gb is faster and if you really desire that speed, go right ahead. Just know that you might have to buy some external parts along the way. Like thebigdinx said, it depends on what you're going to be storing on that hd. Games, photos, videos, etc. What? It's your choice.

Yeah, I mean I won't use this laptop for heavy gaming because it really can't handle it. I'll mainly use it for storing videos, files, music, etc.

Mainly this is going to be for school and perform internet browsing, paying bills, etc.

Hmm, I think I'll go for a 100 gig 4200 HD.

Thanks.

LOL, that is nearly the exact same laptop I have. WIll work great. I have 80GB on mine. If that's all you plan to use it for, yet by all means, get this laptop. It's a great little workhorse.

That's like the same laptop I have too. I love it. I'm on it right now.

We need to have a Compaq Laptop Club. :D CLC. I like it!

Hey, its funny you made this thread, because I am reading this thread on almost the exact same Laptop. The only difference is I have only 512 ram and the 60GB HD.

Really Nice Computer (at least as far as laptops go)...

Good Luck with whatever you decide...

Wow, a lot of people on here have a variation of the Compaq laptop... Will, what's your model number? V2xxxUS?

Back
Top Bottom