How is this possible?

FatMan1

Baseband Member
I was reading a guys tech specs from another computer site and he had two different size HD in his computer.

He had a really fast one for games and stuff and a large slow one for pictures and musics.

I thought these HD had to be the same size in order to work together.

Not to mention I've also seen specs on new egg where they have two different size HD running in their machine.

Can anyone tell me?

they only have to be the same size when theyre in a "raid" set up otherwise u can have 2 completely diff hard drives for example, a really fast one for your OS and programs and a slower bigger one for music and pictures ect

Yeah, you can set up a dual drive system where you have one 74gb 10,000rpm hd and a hitachi deskstar 500gb. RAID is where you have two exact drives running, two 74gb hd's. RAID 0 is where data is accessed throughout two drives, so massive performance occurs. RAID 1 is where the same data is backed-up on each drive, so in case one fails, the other has exactly the same stuff on it. So yeah, it's possible.

jac006 said:
Yeah, you can set up a dual drive system where you have one 74gb 10,000rpm hd and a hitachi deskstar 500gb. RAID is where you have two exact drives running, two 74gb hd's. RAID 0 is where data is accessed throughout two drives, so massive performance occurs. RAID 1 is where the same data is backed-up on each drive, so in case one fails, the other has exactly the same stuff on it. So yeah, it's possible.
kinda off subject, but how reliable is raid0?

Well, it's nothing compared to RAID 1, in terms of reliability, but RAID 0 still is reliable enough if you have hd's that are in good shape in terms of quality, performance, etc.

Back
Top Bottom