Limits to Overclocking

Ah, thanks Setishock, I appreciate the advice (seriously, I'm not joking). I think I'll just keep it at stock speeds and just mess around with it, without overclocking, or anything.

I'll see what I can do, about overclocking. Thanks for the input! :)

Lower the HTT multi to 3x. That way you keep your HTT under 1000mhz which is ideal. Then raise the voltage to 1.5V. If thats not stable, bump up the voltage. What kind of cooling are you using? You better not be using a stock heatsink, UNLESS it is the one with the heatpipes.

Bwahahaha, stock cooling. My temperatures right now are fine, though. And, of course, I'll have a very, very close eye on them. I'm going to get a better cooler IF I can find a way to overclock more so that it won't be a waste of money. ;)

Okay, I have a few more questions. I need to know the "conversions" of these things. Normally, my FSB of my CPU is set at 200 MHz. My RAM is set at 400 MHz. Now, I have my RAM set at 333 MHz and my CPU at 255 MHz. The RAM runs at 200 MHz according to CPU-Z in both of these situations. Now, I have my HTT at 4x, and I have no idea what it runs at. Say I'm going to change my RAM to 266 MHz (in BIOS). What FSB of CPU would I need to make that equal 200 MHz in CPU-Z? What HTT should I use? 3x? I'm guessing I can leave the timings alone.

First off, list your stock timings on that RAM. Run on a 166 divider. Change HTT muliplier to 3x. That will keep you good up to 333mhz on the FSB. 333x3=999, which is under 1000mhz. Keep your HTT at or under 1000. A little bit over is okay too.

Sorry but your better off not trying to overclock a oem system by dell, gateway, HP or whomever you got one from. Most companies lock out thier bios settings so you can't overclock. If you really want to overclock, get upto speed with PC building and build your dream PC. Then you'll truly have what you wanted and paid for. Also finding a new bios setup for your dell, may be very hard to find. Plus you may run into even more problems with a third party bios. I would love to oc my laptop, just because i know i could get more out of it. But of course gateway locked out the bios, and its just no worth trying to fix something thats not broken. Like someone else said, everything your doing is right, but raise the volts and it should become more stable. good luck and have fun.

later,
bill

Haha, I'm quite familiar with building PC's... Look at mine in the signature! :D

Thanks Ownage, the timings are 2.5-3-3-6 I believe. I'm not sure, right now I'm on the closet computer so I can't check anything. The weird thing is, that in the BIOS, the RAM runs (default) at 400 MHz! I'm a little confused on how RAM speed is multiplied... Also, what's a 166 divider? Do you mean reducing the MHz of the RAM by that much? That'd be 233 MHz, though, not 266, which is what I had. Now, I'm running 333 MHz.

torment1979 said:
Sorry but your better off not trying to overclock a oem system by dell, gateway, HP or whomever you got one from. Most companies lock out thier bios settings so you can't overclock. If you really want to overclock, get upto speed with PC building and build your dream PC. Then you'll truly have what you wanted and paid for. Also finding a new bios setup for your dell, may be very hard to find. Plus you may run into even more problems with a third party bios. I would love to oc my laptop, just because i know i could get more out of it. But of course gateway locked out the bios, and its just no worth trying to fix something thats not broken. Like someone else said, everything your doing is right, but raise the volts and it should become more stable. good luck and have fun.

later,
bill
he does have his own "dream machine"

okay, so RAM is DDR (double data rate) PC3200 runs at a 400mhz effective. (200mhz x 2 becuase of the double data rate) choose the divider that says 166mhz so it puts your RAM on a divider. 166 should be good. Or run your RAM on the lowest divider there is and try to clock your cpu as high as it will go. Now that will tell you how high your Opteron's memory controller will go.

Back
Top Bottom