getting high speed cable internet...wireless networking question

drumthrasher said:
I just ordered Comcast High-Speed Internet today. I am thinking about getting a wireless router. The plan should come with a modem. I would like to put the router and the modem on my tv. My laptop has wireless internet, and i'm also thinking about getting a PCI card for my desktop to get the internet. My TV is about 20-30FT away. The laptop is running XP Home SP2, and the desktop is running XP Pro SP2. I think i'm missing something to say here, so tell me if I am.

Haha, I also have Comcast high speed internet. You'll love it. Super duper fast. You'll be able to download movies in less than 2 hours and songs in less than 30 seconds (depending on how long they are). I've had a 5 minute song download in what seems like 30-45 seconds. Incredible.

I've got the exact same setup as you, what a coincidence. Wireless laptop and my desktop PC are all connected through my Linksys wireless router. I wouldn't put the router on the TV. Too much interference can disrupt signal. Set it on a shelf of you have one. My desktop is not wireless. It's directly connected to one of the ports by means of CAT 5e ethernet cable to the back of my NIC.

Looks like you have a general idea on how to do it. Yeah, set the security after you're done. Enable file and print sharing too. Then, you'll have the ultimate home network!!!

Anyway, everything is working perfectly. My desktop, thought, always has a low signal, probably because its near the floor and is in the back of a desk where theres no room...and a lot of wires. Is there a way I can make the signal strength more than 2 bars?

Make sure the router is evenly spaced between all your computers. DOn't put it near other electronic devices. Make sure there's not too much obstruction in the way.

Back
Top Bottom