Members gather around, Seti has something to say

setishock

Wizard of Wires
New members are being called noobs again and to me I'd rather hear fingernails on a chalkboard. To me those beating up on the new members are part of the crowd that think they have this site just for themselves. Wrong. This site is for all members, no matter how long you have been here. We all started out as new members and evolved in to usefull posters. Well, some did. Some didn't. Members that have been here for some time need to take the new members under thier wing and show them the way we do things. Instead some of you are acting like school bullys. This practice has to stop. If you have nothing usefull to say then say nothing. Click, click and move on.
You will only susceed in running folks off and even prevent some from signing up. Suspended accounts will be handed out for that sort of behaviour on a case by case basis.
Now you new members.
I really only have two pieces of advice to give you and please take time to read and think about what I'm trying to say.
1> When in doubt, ask a mod. We don't bite. Matter of fact that's part of the job.
2> If you have nothing usefull to say then say nothing. Click, click and move on. Don't make yourself a target for a bully. Refer back to #1.

Please new members and current members READ DA RULES. It will save all of you some grief.
That's it.
Comments?

I second that... well said setis. We were all noobs here at one time. Treat others like we would like ourselves treated...

Thanks Seti, Maybe if you took off your location (I am watching you) people might not think you such a scary guy. This post isnt an offence so don't comment and start teasing me again. ;)

I think this speaks for itself...

David Lindon said:
Rule #9: Profane language or rude behavior in threads is not conduct we like to see. Just think of how you want to be treated and act accordingly. Remember your post is seen by young people and visitors from all over the world. Let's put our best foot forward.

David Lindon said:
Rule #13: If you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather then attacking them. We look upon our veteran members to use this opportunity to teach the newer members the appropriate way to use these message boards.

David Lindin said:
Rule #14: (A) Overall flaming or condemnation of posters will not be tolerated. There is no reason to voice derogatory statements about someone because you may simply disagree with their opinions. (B) Or voice derogatory statements about any hardware / software because you may simply disagree with their opinions.

I couldn't agree more with any of this.

One of the reason new members come here is so that they can learn things, being called a noob by somebody who can't spell isn't very helpful or polite.

Make sure that people don't mix up "your" and "you're" - that's my pet peeve about this place.

I agree with this stuff, but now, let me add my 2-3 cents

This is a forum for responisble people. Spammers are not welcome.

BUT, if we* act like children, there will be no more forum for us. If we act like adults and respect each other, then, we could avod this stuff. Right now, if this doesn't settle, I'm PMing David and it's a week off for all of us (Forum down). You wanna act like a kid? Fine! I'll treat you like one! You want to act like a young adult or an adult? Well, Get with it and stop this Stupid nonsense! :mad:

*we is as in a majority

lhuser said:
BUT, if we* act like children, there will be no more forum for us. If we act like adults and respect each other, then, we could avod this stuff. You wanna act like a kid? Fine! I'll treat you like one! You want to act like a young adult or an adult? Well, Get with it and stop this Stupid nonsense! :mad:

*we is as in a majority

Keep in mind of course the majority of members are, in fact, children (under 18). I don't we should expect everyone to act adult-like because sometimes the sense of child-like views can make this place interesting and fun. The idea is we keep some level of maturity and common sense in the matter. Everyone's got it, and it isnt hard to use it. That being said, there is no excuse for being arrogant and disrespectful. I have seen too much of it, and quite honestly we can do without it. If it doesn't get under control I, as well as others will leave because we don't have to be tolerant of it. I hate to see such a stupid problem give me cause to leave but despite that I would leave nonetheless. I hope with everyone getting an understanding of the situation things will get better.

I think people need to chill out. Noob is just slang for newbie, which is when you're new to something. Being called a noob is stating the truth if you really are new. That's all there is to it. If people take offence at that, they need to calm the heck down.

Back
Top Bottom