Best Processor IYO for 300-500

I think that the Opteron's prefome slightly less then the Athlon but they are a fraction of the price. Also I heard that if you use Opterons on desktop boards and not server boars (where they belong) it voids the warranty. :eek:

reggie_da_man said:
I think that the Opteron's prefome slightly less then the Athlon but they are a fraction of the price. Also I heard that if you use Opterons on desktop boards and not server boars (where they belong) it voids the warranty. :eek:

They perform slightly better, not less. Why do you think all the enthusiasts perfer Opterons?

1337DuD3 said:
Hmmm didn't know that. How much more do they usually run?

[EDIT] Also, people were saying they were overclockign them between 2.4GHz and 2.65 GHz. Sounds like a good CPU to get.

Also, Quinton, check out my Athelon 64 FX-60 review thread. I need some input on that one. :)

Opterons are slighly more expensive... The Opteron 170 is an equivlent of an AMD FX 57... Except, it has 2 cores instead of one and the core is a bit more powerful.

Here is a link for the prices on the Denmark Core Opterons:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=343&Submit=Property

Omgz I was waiting for the normal reply. If you have alot of money for a processor, go with an FX. Best AMD processors for gaming. Nothing beats an FX. Yea, dual core would definately be the next best option for a 300 to 500 dollar budget. Next I'd go with an Opetron, but those are pretty low on the GHz, and pretty expensive. They are nice processors, and if you would be willing to get some nice cooling stuff and overclock it, it may preform better than the Dual Core. You never know with the Opetrons. If I were you, I'd just go with an AMD 64 3500 or 3800 or something. You don't really need to get all fancy with the processors. Now adays I think it's alot more about the graphics card. If you're like me and you have a 3500 and an x800GTO, you can play all the newest games at the maximum. I mean, it might be just an average high end graphics card and end up like the 9800 by next year, but by then I will have upgraded my motherboard to an SLi and gotten some 7800's. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend, and what you really would feel comfortable with. I would save some money and just go with a 3500 or 3800.

They perform slightly better, not less. Why do you think all the enthusiasts perfer Opterons?
I thought they gave you like 1-2 fps slower. Anyway it doesn't matter. Enthusiasts prefer Opterons because of their overclockability, and durability. Not to mention the price.

HRHunteRHR said:
Omgz I was waiting for the normal reply. If you have alot of money for a processor, go with an FX. Best AMD processors for gaming. Nothing beats an FX. Yea, dual core would definately be the next best option for a 300 to 500 dollar budget. Next I'd go with an Opetron, but those are pretty low on the GHz, and pretty expensive. They are nice processors, and if you would be willing to get some nice cooling stuff and overclock it, it may preform better than the Dual Core. You never know with the Opetrons. If I were you, I'd just go with an AMD 64 3500 or 3800 or something. You don't really need to get all fancy with the processors. Now adays I think it's alot more about the graphics card. If you're like me and you have a 3500 and an x800GTO, you can play all the newest games at the maximum. I mean, it might be just an average high end graphics card and end up like the 9800 by next year, but by then I will have upgraded my motherboard to an SLi and gotten some 7800's. It really depends on how much you're willing to spend, and what you really would feel comfortable with. I would save some money and just go with a 3500 or 3800.

There's really not good reason to get the FX at this point. The computer world is headed toward the multitasking cycle. All the FX for the exception of the FX 60 are single core processors. I would recommend an X2 or an Opteron.... Opterons more so because they're INSANE. Not only that, but they sound cooler! It feels good when you tell your friends, "What? You got a X2? Man! I got an AMD Opteron, baby!"

Besides, Opterons have been stress tested like crazy, feature a higher l2 cache, iicorporate an extra HTT Incorherent link, overclock like crazy, and just recently, require much much lower voltage than their FX and X2 counterparts.

Enthusiasts have been buying Opterons so much, that AMD decided to increase the Opteron prices and lower the X2 prices. According to AMD, they want people to buy the X2 processors and not the Opterons (since they were designed for two different markets).

Opterons have significantly gone up in price, now would be a good time to get them. The 1xx opterons dont have an extra link since they are 1 way only. But single core opterons get up to 2.7-2.8 on the 144, 2.9-3.0 on the 146 and so on. The dual cores get up to 2.6-2.7.

ownage said:
Opterons have significantly gone up in price, now would be a good time to get them. The 1xx opterons dont have an extra link since they are 1 way only. But single core opterons get up to 2.7-2.8 on the 144, 2.9-3.0 on the 146 and so on. The dual cores get up to 2.6-2.7.
ya. ask jamxx about opterons. he has a 148 oc'd past 2.8ghz i think.

At 2.8 is would be 254x11. To get 3.0Ghz, you would need 273x11. That is on a 148.

Are you talking about the FSB multiplier? It's only at 11x? Mine is at 14x, and it's an obsolete Processor, Socket 478 Pentium 4!

Back
Top Bottom