just ordered this

jnthn205

Baseband Member
Ok i just ordered this to upgrade my computer

tell me what you all think
eVGA 7800GT
eVGA nForce4 SLI mobo
AMD Athlon X2 4200+

Only thing I am bummed about is reformatting my hdd for the new motherboard...But oh well..

Why do you have to reformat your hard drive? Most hard drives can take a new motherboard. Mine dide, so i don't know why you would have to reformat.

oh really? Well then lol, maybe i wont have to reformat. You think I should just try and use the hdd as it is, then if it doesnt work reformat it?

im changing out the motherboard, video card, and processor...you still think that i wont need to format?

Some people ran into some errors when they use their old hard drives in their new setup. Try it out and see if it boots ok. If not, then reformat and reinstall everything.

sometimes you have to, sometimes you don't. I dunno man... it's a very strange issue..
when I built a new pc for a friend, I just took the HDD out of the old box and put it in the new one, worked great.

When I did the same thing for my brother, windows would BSOD every time it boots up, and it was working perfectly fine on the other pc....

try going without a format, if you encounter problems, then format.

Back up eveything. Then try it as is. Usely works you will need to call and get your key activated again. If it dosent then reformat.

1337DuD3 said:
Why do you have to reformat your hard drive? Most hard drives can take a new motherboard. Mine dide, so i don't know why you would have to reformat.

Because if your motherboard uses a different chipset and you installed the drivers for it and the video card slots etc etc, then it won't work. If it's the same chipset it should be okay. Before you install everything, backup all your old data like music etc then reformat.

Ok maybe this will help to know if i have to or not. I have a Abit K8T800Pro Chipset motherboard, with amd athlon 64 3200+ drivers and the 6800GT drivers, on the hard drive. I am getting all new motherboard, processor, but using the same hdd.

Back
Top Bottom