Network sharing help

gabel1

Baseband Member
I have a home network setup. I have a desktop wired to my router and my laptop wireless. Both machines are running XP. I set up a network and shared folders and my printer, now last night I was able to access the printer and the folders from my laptop that are on my desktop, but now today, it is saying that \\Desktop Name\Shared folder is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator and see if you have privelages. Does anyone have any ideas what happened?

It's related to the IP address. When you set it up last night, both had their own IP address. Today, you probably cut on the laptop, before the desktop (in theory, you did the opposite last night) and this is causing the issue. Try allowing users to modify files, see if that sets the permissions correctly for you to access it anytime.

Try going through the process again. Maybe you missed a small detail. I have heard of issues sharing when the guest account it active. Try disabling the guest account.

I am having the same problem with mine. But, I had it working at one time, but then one day it just stopped. Neither of the computers were changed, it just didn't work anymore?

I had it working again but now it stopped again, it seems that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. does anyone know of a guide that i can follow to set up a network where my desktop is wired and my laptop is wireless?

gabel1 said:
I had it working again but now it stopped again, it seems that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. does anyone know of a guide that i can follow to set up a network where my desktop is wired and my laptop is wireless?

Have you used the Windows Network Wizard's to set them up?

Also try turning off Windows firwall, it is crap and it blocks a lot of networks.
Couldn't hurt to turn off any other firewall and try too.

The firewalls are off on both computers of mine and I have ran the setup numberous times, thinking that I have done something wrong. But it still won't work. I am no computer dummy, I just can't figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom