Intel Xeon..?

Ok, you're not geting it. A Xeon processor processes the data differently. A Xeon is made to processes a lot of data coming in from a lot of sources, or maybe a few sources. It is also made to stay on, or stay computing for extremly long periods of time. An Athelon 64 CPU is meant to process small applications and only process data from a limited amount of sources. The Xeon is a server CPU, or a workstation. It's a CPU who's purpose is to simply gather data, sort data, and send data. It's nothing special. The Athelon 64 or Pentium is a processor that is meant to handle large applications, such as games, or small applications, such as MS Word, Powerpoint, the internet.

The Xeon IS NOT a gaming CPU, you can have two of them coupled with 1 gig of RAM, and I guarntee an Athelon 64 CPU will out perform the dual-Xeons in any game.

Oh wow.. I had no idea. Thanks. But.. Hmm.. What is the best intel for gaming. I mean there is the pent 4, 630. Thats the one i have prescott (3.0ghz). So probably a pent is the best for gaming outta all the intels. Maybe a 3.6 northwood though? Anything like that?

WHen it comes to Intel processors, the best is anythign in the Pentium lineup. If what you're asking is what is the best Intel processor for gaming, no questions asked it's the Pentium D Extreme Edition 955 processor. BUt if you want something on a more realistic scale, a Pentium 4 with EM64T technology will do you good. :D

Extended Memory 64 Technology is basically x86-64. Basically 64-bit processing. Yes, the Pentium 4 6xx series is 64-bit.

I always thought that was HT, that made it 64bit. You know, the logical, and physical processing units.

nope. 64-bit is a set of instructions, not hardware. HT made windows see the processor and two processors.

Yes, the locical processing unit is the Hyper-Threading technology. The Physical processing part if the CPU itself, which happens to contain the 64-bit architecture. Hyper-Threading is just a way to process more data in a different way. To my knowledge it essentially makes the CPU think that is has another CPU, which is why on dual-core CPUs that have hyper-threading/trasport technology, you end up with 4 boxes all showing CPU usage. Because each core uses HT technology, making it think it has another CPU on it, thus giving it four CPUs, or processing units. It's all confussing at first, but after you read up on EM64T and Hyper-Threading/Transport technology it soon becomes clear! :D

Well, I kind of get it, because of just owning it, and always watching it, and knowing what its doing. And it doesnt display the same processes. I mean, kinda the same, but the ''logical'' cpu, takes care of the background processes.

Back
Top Bottom