getting high speed cable internet...wireless networking question

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
I just ordered Comcast High-Speed Internet today. I am thinking about getting a wireless router. The plan should come with a modem. I would like to put the router and the modem on my tv. My laptop has wireless internet, and i'm also thinking about getting a PCI card for my desktop to get the internet. My TV is about 20-30FT away. The laptop is running XP Home SP2, and the desktop is running XP Pro SP2. I think i'm missing something to say here, so tell me if I am.

Nope, you're fine.
Cable plugs into >> Cable modem plugs into >> Wireless router sends radio signal to >> PCI card/Built in wireless device on laptop or desktop.

Everything sounds good, enjoy.

Oh, BTW, get some security for the wireless router. Depending on the model you should be able to point your browser to 192.168.0.1 (or a similar variant) and type in the default password and set up security. The manual for the router should tell you everything about that.
Seriously, there's some idiots out there. My neighbors, first off they don't put security on their router so I can connect with ease. Then on top of it they dont change the default password to their router so I control their network from my house. Oh, and dont forget to mention they have motorola surfboard modems so i can crack into that as well with 192.168.100.1... So basically I run their life if I so choose... I'm a friendly guy though. :)

hahahaha some people really have no idea eh, anyways if ur going to be gaming then u will want to get a very good router, there are some out there that have no lag at all, if not just a standard one will do

Good, I read the February issue of Maximum PC, and was reading about firewalls. Are some built in to the router?

drumthrasher said:
Good, I read the February issue of Maximum PC, and was reading about firewalls. Are some built in to the router?
Yea most routers come with built in firewalls but it is always a good idea to download a third party firewall. Such as the free zone alarm.

Ok, i'll probably just get one once I get the internet, should be here any day now. I have another question: On the laptop, Start>Connect To>Show Network Connections, there's already a Wireless Network Connection icon, while there's nothing but "Juno" (my dial-up ISP). But once I get the PCI Wireless Card thing, will the software put it there, or will it be there automatically...I don't think i'm explaining this right.

Haha, I'm talking to you guys and gals right now through the use of my neighbors wireless internet, I bought a wireless adapter on a hunch and booyah, T1 line.

you may also want to setup the mac address filter, and shut off the broadcasting of your netwok so nobody can see it in wifi.

Back
Top Bottom