Building a computer

CPU fans and chipset fans connect to the motherboard. There are pins on there that specify CPU or Northbridge fan. The PSU powers the motherboard that powers the pins for the fans. Regular case fans are mostly used with the molex connectors from the PSU.

Okay that clears things up. So is 4 molex connectors enough? 1 for hardrive, 1 for floppy, and 1 for dvd burner. That leaves 1 for 3 fans. Is that possible?

The floppy uses a smaller power plug and usually they're branched off from one of the exisitng 4-pin molex connectors. So you still have all 4 to use. It's ok. I have the same amount of molex connectors too. I don't even have the SATA one, lol. I've got an old PSU and I'm thinking about upgrading to a new one because it cuts off on me on rare occasions. Never happened before until I got that 7800GT video card in there. It draws a lot of juice. I can hear the PSU whine when I play NBA Live 06. Big time whine.

So you'll be using one molex for burner, one for HDD, and the rest for fans and video card (if it uses a separate power source like mine). Yeah you should have no problems at all. Fans don't draw a lot of juice. You can have 2-3 fans per molex if you want to. I have that config now. Works great. No problems.

Okay its making sense now. So these fans will come with y-spliters which can connect 2-3 fans to one molex connector?

Each fan comes with two connectors. One is female and goes into an exisitng molex from the PSU. The other one is made available for other devices or fans. All fans are like that. There's always a spare just dangling around in case you need to use it for other hardware. Basically, you'll never run out of molex connectors.

Yeah, pretty much. But I like to spread mine around a bit. I've got one fan sharing a molex off of my hard drive and burner. The rest, I just use the spare. It helps me troubleshoot too. In case if my fans go out, I'll know why.

Okay thanks for the help. Sorry if those questions seemed stupid. This is my first build and I didn't want to mess anything up. I will post a couple of pics when I am done.

VirtualDrone said:
I think that I am going to finally get around to building a computer. This computer is going to be used mostly for gaming. Anyways this is what I am putting in it.

-MGE sidewinder case 400 watt power supply
-Asus A8N-E socket 939 motherboard
-Amd Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939
-Western Digital 160gb ide hard drive
-Gigabyte 6800 nvidia geforce 256mb

Now I got some questions.

1. Is this all going to work together?
2. What do I do for ram? I want to have 2 sticks of 512.
3. My case has 5 fans. Am I going to be able to run all of them with this type of set up?

Thanks for your help

Most likely, if you take out 2 or 3 fans it will have the exsact same cooling specs and be much quieter, i discovered that with my pc, but no i have watercooling^^

Back
Top Bottom