Repairing XP after new mobo install

marksoccer105

Beta member
I installed a new motherboard (biostar nvidea 2 chipset) in a friends computer which previous motherboard fried. When I started the computer it restarts when loading XP, this is probably due to the fact that the previous mobo was a VIA chipset. I tried repairing XP, but the repair kept crashing. I really dont want to reformat the hard drive, since they will need to reinstall everything. I am currently reinstalling windows to a new folder (windows2). Is there any way I can fix windows without doing this reinstall or reformatting? Any help would be appreciated.

ive heard about this happening, sometimes people can change the motherboard with no problems and sometimes they cant, u will have to reinstall windows

theres no way to install mobo drivers in windows without actually booting windows? Also, since I have gotten Windows to boot after installing to Windows2, everything except the user accounts is the same. Is there a way I can copy the old registry into the newly installed Windows? Or would it be best to remove their documents into a seperate folder and reinstall over the previous windows? This way everything but the registry and user accounts should remain intact. Thanx for the input.

I finally got it to work. I reinstalled windows to windows2 as stated above. Then I deleted some of the mobo drivers out of the windows folder and replaced them with ones from windows2. Then I repaired windows and it worked. I had to reactivate... but that was to be expected.

Back
Top Bottom