Building a computer

VirtualDrone

In Runtime
I think that I am going to finally get around to building a computer. This computer is going to be used mostly for gaming. Anyways this is what I am putting in it.

-MGE sidewinder case 400 watt power supply
-Asus A8N-E socket 939 motherboard
-Amd Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939
-Western Digital 160gb ide hard drive
-Gigabyte 6800 nvidia geforce 256mb

Now I got some questions.

1. Is this all going to work together?
2. What do I do for ram? I want to have 2 sticks of 512.
3. My case has 5 fans. Am I going to be able to run all of them with this type of set up?

Thanks for your help

if the 6800 is pcie, and the mobo takes pcie, then u should be alright. If the mobo takes IDE then u should be fine. Etc etc lol. Just read the mobo specs.

First off, I would get a different PSU, MGE is NOT a name brand which you want when buying power supplies. Also 400W is not going to cut it for a 6800. I would not get WD although thats your choice, do not get IDE, SATA is the future and is much more efficient and in fact easier to setup in alot of cases.

2. For memory all DDR RAM will work with speeds 400 and below. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145449
That is great RAM that is compatible with your system. I would go for it.
3. Depends on the amount of molex cables from your psu and how many fan ports are on your motherboard.

Okay thanks for the help. Just to clear some stuff up.

1. What type of psu should I get. Would 450-500 watts cut it? Should I get a brand name? How many molex connecters should it have?

2. Well I would like to get all my parts locally from here: http://b-com.ca/store/home.php?cat=560&MMN_position=116:116.
What do you suggest?

3. So if there isn't enought fan ports can I get splitters?

Again thanks for your help.

Actually, MGE is pretty good. I own one of their Vortec 500W PSU's, and it had 34Amps on +12V. Not bad for a non-SLI PSU. However, do NOT get a generic PSU liek the one they include in the case. If you're on a tight budget, I would suggest a Vortec for about 80 bucks. However, if you're willing to spend a little more, you can get an OCZ ModStream or PowerStream.

VirtualDrone said:
I think that I am going to finally get around to building a computer. This computer is going to be used mostly for gaming. Anyways this is what I am putting in it.

-MGE sidewinder case 400 watt power supply
-Asus A8N-E socket 939 motherboard
-Amd Athlon 64 3500+ socket 939
-Western Digital 160gb ide hard drive
-Gigabyte 6800 nvidia geforce 256mb

Now I got some questions.

1. Is this all going to work together?
2. What do I do for ram? I want to have 2 sticks of 512.
3. My case has 5 fans. Am I going to be able to run all of them with this type of set up?

Thanks for your help

I got the same computer except my graphics card is an ATi x800GTO and my hard drive is a 200G. I'm pretty sure the motherboard has around 4 slots, probobly not 5.... I am using two of them and the other fan connects via a power cord. You should get 1G of PC3200 ram, either 1 stick or two 512 sticks. The setup is nice but for cheaper you can take advantage of SLi in the future with a gigabyte board, but this one will probobly out preform it and I doubt you'll really ever need SLi.

HRHunteRHR said:
I got the same computer except my graphics card is an ATi x800GTO and my hard drive is a 200G. I'm pretty sure the motherboard has around 4 slots, probobly not 5.... I am using two of them and the other fan connects via a power cord. You should get 1G of PC3200 ram, either 1 stick or two 512 sticks. The setup is nice but for cheaper you can take advantage of SLi in the future with a gigabyte board, but this one will probobly out preform it and I doubt you'll really ever need SLi.
So you have the same case too? You are saying that 2 fans connect to the motherboard and the other connects to the psu? Btw is the inculded psu sufficent. Enought watts, enought connectors etc.

VirtualDrone said:
Just to clear some stuff up.

1. What type of psu should I get. Would 450-500 watts cut it? Should I get a brand name? How many molex connecters should it have?

2. Well I would like to get all my parts locally from here: http://b-com.ca/store/home.php?cat=560&MMN_position=116:116.
What do you suggest?

3. So if there isn't enought fan ports can I get splitters?

As far as compatibility goes with those parts you have in mind, they will most definitely work together. You forgot RAM in there. Honestly, the 400 watt PSU will work fine for that 6800 video card. If you know you will be upgrading in the future to something even better, a 450+ watt PSU would be better. If you do want to get a PSU anyways, Antec make one of the best. I'm not sure about the number of molex connectors on there but they give you an adequate amount.

If you ever have a need for more fans, don't worry about the lack of molex connectors. Fans always come with a Y-shapped power adaptor to piggyback off of existing molex. It's no biggie there. I know if you want to shop in Canada, Tigerdirect is most reputable. I've never been on that site you mentioned so I don't know of the reliablity of service.

Well I do plan to upgrade in the future, but at least not for a year so I think I will stick with this psu to keep the cost down. Here is a picture of the inculded psu. Is this enough connectors?
xg_psu_plugs.jpg

I am kind of confused with the whole fan thing. Doesn't the fan have to connect to the motherboard? or does it just connect to the psu?

I want to get my parts locally because of shipping problems I have had in the past. The company I mentioned http://b-com.ca/store/home.php?cat=...osition=116:116. Is very reliable and has awesome service.

Back
Top Bottom