HARDWARE problem?? toughy....

otchster

Beta member
k so im trying to fix a freinds desktop.. its custom built.. it boots XP, and runs fine.. the problem is; every now and then, randomly and spontainiously it will SHUT OFF.

all the fans are on.. it usually does this when running a full virus scan, or burning a CD, etc..

i HAVE replaced the power supply with a nice antex model from best buy, and it still shuts off..

theres two 256mb ram sticks, and theres 3 slots on the mobo, ive tried each one invidiually, and the different slots, almsot all possible configurations, and it STILL shuts off randomly... so i think that voids out the ram..

its an AMD 2500+, Asus a7v8x-x Mobo, with like i said two 256mb sticks (kingmax and a samsung), a crappy CD-RW, a Maxtor 80gb hdd, the NEW antec 350w psu..

and also, a pretty beafy aftermarket fan and heatsink...

i vaccumed the fan, heatsink, case, etc of dust, and i dont think over heating is the problem.. ive tried different outlets, and even different houses!! so its not that..

why does this machine keep shutting off??

**please note, i dont believe its a virus because when i boot an XP install CD, and attempt to install XP it shuts off randomly while in the install process...

thanks

run a program called prime95 and keep an eye on the temperature, if it shuts off then its overheating, sounds like the "beafy" cooler might be pulling away from the cpu

Or just download something liek coobits, and check out the temps with that. Because prime 95 is a torture test for your computer. Not a heat test..

update for everyone..

it wasnt a heat problem..

i deleted the XP NTFS partition with FDISK using a win98se boot disk..

then installed XP clean onto a new partition..

i guess viruses can actually cause the XP setup to fail.. never knew that...

anyway, it had a virus, and it couldnt be removed using the XP install CD / Format.

thanks to all whom helped

Back
Top Bottom