Linux Ubuntu Install Mistake - Help

Brian_Fenner

In Runtime
Linux Ubuntu Install Mistake - Windows Help

Here's the deal.............

I know very little about Linux but was trying to load it on an external USB hard drive.........
I made a BIG mistake and mistakenly called out a second external hard drive to install the master boot record on.

Now back in Windows I can't access any of the files on this drive......Windows doesn't reconize it and says I need to format the drive!
Am I screwed?

The files on this hard drive are important pictures from the last 5 years and don't want to lose them.

Any experts offer some help so I can recover these files?

Thanks..........

Re: Linux Ubuntu Install Mistake - Windows Help

I cant help you sorry but maybe if the mods could move this to the right section
"Operating Systems" then you might be able to get some help and people will see it there :)

Good luck

So, are you baiscly saying that you created a custom disk patition, and now its trying to load of that one. But also at the same time, you have windows on it. So your like trying to do a dual boot? But if linux is on the external.. how did you screw up the internal with the windows.

Little help :confused:

Internal Hard drive = WinXP
External HD #1 = Storage/backup for important files & pictures
External HD #2 = Empty drive.......Installing Linux

I wanted to create a dual boot setup. WinXP on the Internal HD and Linux on EHD #2.
I installed Linux on EHD #2 and during the process it asks where you want to locate the Master boot file. You have many choices where to locate this. Normally it's put on the internal HD but I didn't want to mess with this drive, I wanted it on the EHD #2 but mistakenly put it on EHD #1.

Once I realized I messed up I aborted the Linux installation..........
My internal drive is fine but I can no longer access my important files on EHD #1.

I know the files are still on EHD #1 but I can't get to them..........
WinXP no longer recognizes the drive. When I click on it in windows it says the drive needs to be formatted.

Please help..........

Brian_Fenner said:
Internal Hard drive = WinXP
External HD #1 = Storage/backup for important files & pictures
External HD #2 = Empty drive.......Installing Linux

Well if the pics are backed up, whats the problem, just reinstall windows...or linux lol

joxley1990 said:
Well if the pics are backed up, whats the problem, just reinstall windows...or linux lol

Did you actually read my posts? :rolleyes:
There is nothing wrong with Windows installation............

joxley1990 said:
well there obviosley is if it isant seeing the drives, or showing you the files???

Since I mistakenly installed the Linux Master boot record on this external hard drive Windows can't recognize it. There is nothing wrong with the Windows installation on the internal Hard drive............

The reason Windows can't see your Linux drive (with the Linux bootloader) is because Windows isn't programmed to understand the Linux disk format, probably ext3.

I'd say your best bet is to use something like Knoppix, mount the drive in question, and move the files to another drive. Then reformat the drive, and if you use FAT or NTFS, Windows can see it and use it.

Re: Linux Ubuntu Install Mistake - Windows Help

geek_gal said:
I cant help you sorry but maybe if the mods could move this to the right section
"Operating Systems" then you might be able to get some help and people will see it there :)

Good luck

Done..moved ;)

Back
Top Bottom