are screensavers really important

-Paul-

Fully Optimized
can you still get monitor burn or is it all a myth? or is it just CRT's or is it LCD's?

I believe its just with CRT's because of the way it generates the image.

TV's can also get it, especially if they are projection powered.

With an LCD, I believe it isn't crucial.

Havent heard of monitor burn before, so when im not using my pc just switch the CRT off?

Ok from what I have heard.... normal CRT Tubes and LCDs for tvs dont usually get burn in.. as soon as you start getting into rear projections you get burn in unless its one of those DLP rear projections. Still images do not burn in on those. I am not sure about LCD rear projection as i do not know a lot about those. Plasmas are also bad for burn-in images. That is why if you play video games on rear projections you shouldnt pause it for long periods of times. Some plasmas have a white wash feature that wash out burned in images but I think that reduces the life of the tv. So for computer monitors I think it is relatively the same. CRTs LCD monitors don't get burn-in images. CRT maybe but I am not too sure on that one. My screen saver didnt go on once and the still image of the pc was on for hours on my lcd and there was no burn in. I am pretty sure LCDs can display images for hours on end and nothing will burn in.

It's an old thing screen savers, but really, there so entertaining who wants to get rid of them??

Older monitors from the 80's through to the mid 90's needed screensavers to prevent burn-in. Thats where the electron guns in the back of the tub are continuesly being fired at the same spot (take the windows start button as an example) and eventually degrade the coating that produces the coloured light over that particular area. Screensavers gave the monitor a 'tea break' when the computer was not is use, and the chances of burn-in was reduced, or took longer to occur.

In modern half-decent monitors (say, turn of the century) screensavers are not needed. The coatings are much less degradable. In tft's this is not an issue at all and screensavers are not needed.

Tft's however have another problem, it has been noted that eventually the blacklight (due to the way the light is created) degrades over time. So instead of a screensaver for a TFT monitor, you better setting it go on standby.

Hope that helps.

connchri said:
It's an old thing screen savers, but really, there so entertaining who wants to get rid of them??

Older monitors from the 80's through to the mid 90's needed screensavers to prevent burn-in. Thats where the electron guns in the back of the tub are continuesly being fired at the same spot (take the windows start button as an example) and eventually degrade the coating that produces the coloured light over that particular area. Screensavers gave the monitor a 'tea break' when the computer was not is use, and the chances of burn-in was reduced, or took longer to occur.

In modern half-decent monitors (say, turn of the century) screensavers are not needed. The coatings are much less degradable. In tft's this is not an issue at all and screensavers are not needed.

Tft's however have another problem, it has been noted that eventually the blacklight (due to the way the light is created) degrades over time. So instead of a screensaver for a TFT monitor, you better setting it go on standby.

Hope that helps.

What does TFT stand for and what is a tft monitor?

Edit: just answered my own question. Its a type of technology used in LCDs right?

Tft Or: (Thin-Film-Transistor) Currently the highest quality of colour LC-Displays. TFT-displays are used in notebooks as well as in digital cameras. Thumbnail A DTP term used to describe the miniature representation of a digital image. Usually serves as a preview function for the storage of digitized images.

joxley1990 said:
yea, right, it uses liquid to form the image, while CRT project the image.

Hmm, Not exactly. LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Display. In LCD displays, the Crystals (as we will refer too) are in a semi-liquid state (think of it as solid, but with liquid like properties) and when a current in applied to it, it reacts differently with different types of polerised light. IE, in a pocket calculator. There is a thin sheet of special plastic over the display that polarises the light before it hits the LCD. If different parts of the segments that make up the number have a voltage applied to it, it blocks (Absorbs) the polorised light to make black segments appear.

TFT's work in a similar way but each segment is tiny (3 segments or 'Subpixels' in each pixel on a display and these are either green red or blue - to make up the primary colours of light) and each segment is individually controlled by it's own transistor. As you can imagine, these are placed on a thin film onfront of a backlight.

Hope that helps you out too.

Back
Top Bottom