Remove Screensavers

Larry

Beta member
I am a middle grade teacher, and I use Windows XP Professional computer in the classroom. How do I removed the ssmarque screensaver from the system32 folder so I keep students from writing annoying and inapproriate messages in it? Everytime I delete the file, it returns automaticlly.

Thanks for anyone assistance.

I'm not to sure if there is a way unless you disable the screen saver altogether. Or deny the users access to change the screen saver.

Right click on the desktop, select properties, then select the screensaver tab. Then where it says screen saver, click and scroll upwards till it says none. That will turn the screensaver off.

A more subtle way is just to increase the wait time, so it takes longer like 2hrs or so. Screensavers just make the place look pretty these days, whereas before they were important to stop screen burn.

I found this to disable it all together..

Fortunately, you can automate the disabling and enabling screen saver procedures with a couple of registry shortcuts. Follow these steps:

Launch Notepad and type the following four lines. (Note: The second line must be blank.)

1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
3. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
4. "ScreenSaveActive"="0"

Save the file to your desktop with the name Disable Screen Saver.reg.
Change the 0 to a 1 in the fourth line.
Save the file to your desktop with the name Enable Screen Saver.reg.

Now, when you need to disable the screen saver, just double-click the Disable Screen Saver.reg shortcut. To enable the screen saver, simply double-click the Enable Screen Saver.reg shortcut.

I"m going to test it first here then i'll let you know ok

I've tried it, it don't work... i'll keep looking on google while i have a few free minutes

You could also password protect the computer on resume from screen saver. This will keep the students from altering it while you are away from the desk. Follow the directions to disable, but instead of disabling, check the box that has password protect on resume.

Note: Your XP account should have a password on it, being in a highly public place. You can set a password for your account by going into the control panel, user accounts, password protect account- choose your password. Something easy for you to remember, but hard for others to guess.

hiddjaio said:
I found this to disable it all together..

Fortunately, you can automate the disabling and enabling screen saver procedures with a couple of registry shortcuts. Follow these steps:

Launch Notepad and type the following four lines. (Note: The second line must be blank.)

1. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
3. [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
4. "ScreenSaveActive"="0"

Save the file to your desktop with the name Disable Screen Saver.reg.
Change the 0 to a 1 in the fourth line.
Save the file to your desktop with the name Enable Screen Saver.reg.

Now, when you need to disable the screen saver, just double-click the Disable Screen Saver.reg shortcut. To enable the screen saver, simply double-click the Enable Screen Saver.reg shortcut.

I"m going to test it first here then i'll let you know ok

I've tried it, it don't work... i'll keep looking on google while i have a few free minutes

Larry is my teacher I will share this with him tommorow!!! he is awesome! I suggested to him that he try CF I think he enjoys it! thanks for helping him guys.

Back
Top Bottom