PSU Advice...

Impruv

In Runtime
I am currently upgrading an HP PSU 300 watt to something better since I added a 6600GT and the PSU can no longer handle it. So I'm wondering, should I get a 40$ canadian thermaltake psu at 430w to handle my system for a year or 2 or should I get a really high end one like a raidmax 580w for 80$ candian and make it last to my next computer ?

I would go with the 580, but if you're going to pay that much, I would get a psu that you know would last, like an ocz. OCZ makes the best psu's out there right now, besides turbo cool's 1kw psu. But, if aviability is at a limit, the raidmax psu is still a good choice.

well around toronto, there is no OCZ powersupply I can find for $80; the cheapest was 97 for 450w; and a raidmax dual 12v for 80$ seemed like the best bang for the buck...

I would go for TT. TT is a better psu maker than Raidmax. With the Raidmax, under load, watch your rails fluctuate like crazy.

Or, you can just spend some more money on a good psu and not have to upgrade for a while.

I'm not getting in the middle of this one except to say, Make sure the PSU no matter what you get fits in the HP case. Most of the prebuilts have a custom sized PSU. Off the shelf items might not fit.

I would suggest you post the specs on your system.

Back
Top Bottom